Greatest Album Closers?

Well, since no one’s gone there yet, this one not only ended the album but ended the whole thing.

(Her Majesty doesn’t count because it wasn’t listed on the album cover.)

4 Likes

The track Xanadu from the Xanadu movie soundtrack album.

1 Like

I can think of a couple.

4 Likes

I posted the opener, now here’s the last, though most definitely not least, on that classic album.

What’s your name? Who’s your daddy?

Hmm, I seem to be all about the 60s on this thread… and I’m okay with that. Love the 60s scene.

4 Likes

Let’s see, what else did I love from the 60s? Oh yeah, this song, written by Dolenz - dig it!

4 Likes

As noted above, we just have to kind of ignore these little McCartney fillips…

Hey, Paul essentially invented the post-credits scene!

1 Like

The Doors were pretty good at this…

5 Likes

Gonna have to go with INXS’ “Don’t Change,” myself. Sends Shabooh Shoobah off with a bang.

2 Likes

A strong end to an uneven album.

1 Like

And it goes without saying…

2 Likes

Alright I’ll do it.

Absolutely berserko closer to probably the most ambitious of their 70s epic prog monster albums. Contains my favorite rock & roll guitar solo at 3:38, and Raymond Scott’s Powerhouse at 5:50. And the haters don’t even need to hear Geddy sing.

3 Likes

Yeah some of these can be tricky, “Something in the Way” was the original closer on Nevermind, but subsequent pressings included a hidden track.

Speaking of Nirvana closers

1 Like

The closer to both A Trick of the Tail, the first post-Peter Gabriel Genesis album, and Seconds Out, the live album that followed.

^bonus lyric from Supper’s Ready at the end.

2 Likes

Honestly, there isn’t a bad track on this album, but it’s a great closer.

3 Likes

The Stone Roses - I Am The Resurrection (The Stone Roses, 1989)

Joy Division - Decades (Closer, 1980)

Bruce Springsteen - Jungleland (Born To Run, 1975)

The Clash - Train In Vain (London Calling, 1980)

Radiohead - Street Spirit (Fade Out) (The Bends, 1995)

4 Likes

My choice too: The Beatles - A Day In The Life - YouTube
Not really co-written in the classic sense, but a beautiful melding of John and Paul, invoking the dream state of either sleep, drugs or spiritual enlightenment, at the same time revealing the playfulness of both. “I heard the news today, oh boy …” Of course, this only counts if you don’t consider the “dog-hearing cacophony” a song.

1 Like

But then there’s also this:

Nights in White Satin, a seminal song from a band reinventing itself under duress but still doing the theme album the right way, only a few months after Sgt. Pepper.

5 Likes

It wasn’t even supposed to be on the album. It was cut from the B-side medley late in the final mixing, but the engineers never threw out any Beatles tape, so they stuck it to the end of the tape reel after the tail and it accidentally made it onto record. When it was discovered everyone was like, “eh, keep it that way, why not?”.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Listen to your junk man.

Celebrate Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

2 Likes