Greatest Album Openers?

I was thinking about what I could add to my Alice Cooper page, when the idea came to me… “what about best album openers?”

Well, that’s easy… the title song from School’s Out.

Not only best from AC, but arguably one of the best in rock history?

BTW, at #2, I have Under My Wheels from the LP, Killer - #3 maybe DaDa or Welcome to My Nightmare?

But beyond Alice, what are others that would qualify as classic album openers. And yeah, that could be a long list (what Beatles opener don’t I like?)

Look over your collections, think on your favorites and chime in. Let me stress, this is NOT JUST FOR ROCK!

Jazz, country, folk, they just have to be proper albums, not greatest hits, or random collections.

4 Likes

♫ My name is Jonas ♫

♫ I’m carryin’ the wheel ♫

5 Likes

One of my favorites is “PWEI vs the Moral Majority”, which is the opener to PWEI’s “The Cure for Sanity”. The music is atmospheric along with an overture, previewing the melody to all the album tracks under an extended sample of Jerry Falwell raging about the evils of rock music, ending with “Satan uses this music to hammer, hammer, hammer this message into the minds and the lifestyles of this generation!” and then it drops into a techno dancebeat at the start of “Dance of the Mad Bastards”.

4 Likes

“In the Stone” leads off Earth, Wind and Fire’s album “I Am” with a big horn introduction. I’ve always loved it.

5 Likes

A few of mine, starting off with School’s Out

‘Sunday Morning’ by The Velvet Underground & Nico from The Velvet Underground & Nico

‘Wichita Lineman’ by Glen Campbell from Wichita Lineman (Dylan called it the greatest song ever written, who am I to argue with Bob?)

The lead off track from The Violent Femmes, “Why Do Birds Sing”

5 Likes

The album has stronger songs, of course, but I love how Songs in the Key of Life gets such a soulful and emotional start with “Love’s in Need of Love Today.”

3 Likes

The best six minutes and fifteen seconds of your life

10 Likes

A Jimmy Webb number. He wrote some great songs.

3 Likes

He surely did. He’s one of the all-time greats, well deserving of his inductions in several songwriters HOF.

4 Likes
5 Likes

Traveling Without Moving had to lead with its best foot, and there was only one foot that could do the job.

5 Likes

“Introduction” - Chicago Transit Authority
First album, first song, here’s who we are and what we do. (followed on Side A by “Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?” and “Beginnings”)

“Donna Lee” - Jaco Pastorius
First album, first song, here’s who I am and what I do—and y’all are going to be trying to figure this/me out forever. In the context of bass playing in the mid-70s this as well have been from Neptune.

6 Likes

Hourglass is a transcendent work with an opening track that’s as striking as the rest of the album.

3 Likes

“Starlings” - The Seldom Seen Kid by Elbow

A beautiful opener to a breathtaking album. If wordplay is your thing, Guy Garvey is your man.

3 Likes
7 Likes

3 of my all-time favorites albums - and each got off on the right foot.

Unlike “School’s Out”, these numbers might not necessarily be my #1 favorite tracks on the particular LP/CD, but they are superb, and they set the tone for what’s to come. Sometimes an album can open strong, but disappointingly fade. But these signal greatness, and deliver on that, song after song.

4 Likes
5 Likes

Peter Gabriel’s So. Not just music video wise with Sledgehammer and Big Time, but you gotta love Stewart Copeland’s Hi-Hat at the beginning of Red Rain.

Speaking of Genesis their Invisible Touch album was released in ‘86 as well. Phil also hits it out of the park at the beginning.

4 Likes

One of my favorites are these to from ELO’s Time

Prologue

Twilight

5 Likes

21st Century Schizoid Man
IMG_0979
King Crimson “In the Court of the Crimson King”

9 Likes