Greatest "epic" film you've ever seen

I watch ‘Throne of Blood’ every year on Valentine’s Day.

3 Likes

Two questions for this thread because I don’t think I’m good at starting new threads but I can post in existing ones. :slight_smile:

1. Would David Lynch’s Dune count as an epic? It certainly has sweeping themes even if it also contains some intimate and personal moments. …and it’s really bizarre but the imagery is impressive.

2. Has anyone seen the new Dune movie that’s opening this week? I’ve already seen two Dune adaptations and I’m trying to decide if I should watch a third attempt. :slight_smile: It does appear to be trying to be an epic film.

1. Yes.
  2. No. I just recently saw the 1984 Dune because I know some people who are gaga for it. I recommend watching “Jodorowsky’s Dune” instead.
3 Likes

It almost has a “this is more for us than you, the audience” vibe, which I appreciate.

Goldsmith only had 3 weeks to write most of the score, in a style he didn’t even prefer. (His modernist leanings are evident in some of the weird instrumentation, like The Beam, synth effects, and Indonesian angklung.)

It’s a heck of a product considering what a train wreck it was behind the scenes. I can’t wait for the 4K release next year.

Jodorowsky’s Dune never actually was completed, right? I’ve heard of it, but I thought I remembered that funding ran out or something so they just have pieces?

1 Like

They have pre-production pieces, yeah. Nothing was ever filmed. The documentary “Jodorowsky’s Dune” covers the story and it’s just amazing.

It would’ve been pure MST3K fodder if he’d actually made it, but it’s glorious to imagine.

1 Like

I’ve heard good things about the new Dune, so you might want to give it a try.

1 Like

Richard Lester’s Three and Four Musketeers with Michael York, Raquel Welch, Richard Chamberlain, Charlton Heston, Faye Dunaway, Christopher Lee, and Oliver Reed as the most intense drunken Athos ever. Part farce, sure, but sprawling and fun, with fights directed by William Hobbs.

Forgot to mention this, but for the folks that weren’t already aware the new Dune movie is the first half of the book.

It definitely qualifies as epic. As a Dune fan, I recommend it highly.

2 Likes