Greatest "One Night Stand" Movies

OK, as an adjunct to the epic movie thread, I’ve always had a fondness for movies where the events take place over one night (or one day) or even real time. When someone has a life-altering journey in a short period or even real-time, I find this has an oddly amplifying impact.

I think I noticed this when watching John Landis’ Into The Night, where Jeff Goldblum (?) and Michelle Pfeiffer run around L.A. fleeing baddies.

My favorite example is probably Miracle Mile—even though there’s a slight intro and break where the lead character takes a nap—where Anthony Edwards receives a misdialed phone call from someone in a missile silo saying all out nuclear war has started and the nukes will land in the morning. (This also features people running around L.A., but I’m not sure that’s remarkable enough to be a factor.)

Extreme examples would be the excellent One Cut of the Dead (Japan), where a zombie attack plays out in real time, and Victoria (Germany) where a girl is picked up at a night club by a guy who is about to pull off a heist, and she ends up mixed up in their many adventures (like the Goonies!).

Have you ever noticed this kind of thing? Like or dislike? Favorite examples?

9 Likes

It’s by no means a good movie, but it fits the criterion and I enjoy it.

5 Likes

The first thing that popped into my head was Cléo from 5 to 7 from the great Agnès Varda. It’s a 90 minute movie, about a woman awaiting the results of a cancer test, from 5 to 6:30. (I’m guessing 5 to 7 rolled off the tongue better than five to six thirty, hence the title?)

Russian Ark was pretty incredible, all shot in one take

Hitchcock’s Rope does the same, but due to the technology, he had to fake it.

4 Likes

In French “cinq a sept” has a special meaning. The late Anton Yelchin turned in one of his best performances in a movie by that name.

4 Likes

Exactly the sort of thing I’m talking about. It’s not that movies like this are necessarily good, but they somehow gain a certain momentum for being closer to real-time. (And then if you consider how poorly your average cheesy movie handles time jumps, and it makes a little more sense.)

4 Likes

There’s also Timecode, which had a screen split 4 ways while showing the movie in real time.

It’s… not good.

5 Likes

Can we put Ferris Bueller in this category?

5 Likes

I never have but yeah, it works pretty well!

2 Likes

The first one that came to mind is Nick Of Time, which I enjoyed (yay, Walken!).

A great one in this category is Run Lola Run.

And I did enjoy both Buried and Carnage.

There’s one other one I saw which is not only realtime but a single continuous take. It’s a woman wandering around a city at night and includes all kinds of strange encounters. The movie ticks a third box as well by coming back around to where it begins. I can’t recall the title or find it, it’s a very indie film, but interesting.

4 Likes

Oooh, I love this one. During the pandemic, I got on a Burt Lancaster kick and “The Swimmer” definitely fits here. What a strange flick! I’d love to hear the pitch meeting for that.

5 Likes

I think we’ve got a small problem because we’re talking about two different kinds of movies here- movies where, for lack of a better phrase, the gimmick is that it’s done in real time or even in one shot and movies that just happen to take place within a 24 hour period. There are a lot more of the latter obviously.

3 Likes

My father used to show The Swimmer in his film classes and have his students read the John Cheever short story it was based on to show how a written story can be translated effectively into a film.

4 Likes

I’m meaning it as films that take place in a consecutive period of time, but real-time movies are kind of the ultimate expression of this.

Though it’d be interesting to have a movie shot in one take which WASN’T portraying a consecutive period of time.

3 Likes

Well, for “happens in a span of one day & night”, yes, there are many that qualify. Quick Change, for one, which is a good comedy. Or the nastier film Very Bad Things. And for the most part Halloween is just one night. For that matter so is the first Terminator.

Realtime films are a much smaller pool and thus more interesting as a focused topic.

4 Likes

High Noon, The Set-Up for the classics. A more modern one, Locke (mostly Tom Hardy in a car, on the phone - knock-out acting)

6 Likes

I’d say the recent film Shadow In The Cloud falls into this group as well.

3 Likes

The movie 11 Minutes Ago has a similar structure, only without the split screen.

It’s… good.

4 Likes

Miracle Mile is a forgotten little gem.

4 Likes

For one that takes place over a single day, Dazed And Confused would certainly be a favorite.

5 Likes

Well, of course, Marguerite Duras’s The Atlantic Man! (A bit of a joke: the screen is mostly or entirely blank [can’t remember, although I actually saw it in a theater for some reason] and the only “action” is narration). Not saying the movie is necessarily a joke, but I’m just goofing off with the premise.

Which is a fantastic idea for a thread; I’m just drawing blanks from cold memory.

Dazed and Confused is a great call, though.

2 Likes