Greatest "One Night Stand" Movies

Over the course of one night? I gotta give it up for Scorsese’s After Hours. Criminally underrated.

Also, @moviegique, I love your mention of One Cut of the Dead. Just a spectacular movie all the way around. It’s very spoiler-sensitive, so I can’t even discuss the slightest details, but suffice it to say that it’s very, very good.

6 Likes

Yeah, it’s a modern classic.

3 Likes

Double-good calls there.

High Noon is such an obvious choice, I’m kicking myself for not thinking of it. Though I run hot and cold on the movie, the “real-time countdown” is very, very effective.

Locke is a remarkable film. Could’ve just been hardy sitting on a stage doing a (near) one-man show. And despite that, it has that sort of distinct tension I’m talking about. You feel like by the end of the drive—when Locke finally gets out of his car—the whole world will have changed for him.

4 Likes

That’s not Victoria, I assume?

1 Like

I didn’t see this one mentioned yet: The Warriors (1979) ORIGINAL TRAILER [HD 1080p] - YouTube

8 Likes

Oh, The Warriors! Solid pick!

That’s so overdue for a rewatch. Purely and emphatically satisfying stuff. Director Walter Hill always had a knack for action fare like that.

5 Likes

Excellent. That movie really works on that “long night leading into morning” thing. It feels like you’ve taken the journey with The Warriors.

5 Likes

It is not, but that looks good. This one was much more indie, possibly shot on video instead of film.

And can I say I absolutely hate trailers that keep throwing up quotes from reviewers. Thanks to the internet you can find dozens of positive reviews for anything, since anyone can start a review site. Just let me watch the ding-dang trailer and make up my own mind.

“It blew my mind! 11/10 stars!” - GuysWhoCouchCushionsAreFullOfCheetos.com

2 Likes

If I recall correctly the horror flick ATM is pretty much realtime. I don’t know if Cosmopolis is or not, I couldn’t maintain interest the first time I tried to watch it. Since it’s Cronenberg though I’ll probably give it another try some time.

And I concur, The Warriors is an absolute classic.

3 Likes

I thought of one. The ultimate I don’t get it movie for a lot of people (I love it personally):

8 Likes

And that’s a real-time movie!

I find it absolutely fascinating. (At the same time I get why people don’t.)

2 Likes

American Graffiti, then along the same lines The Hollywood Knights.

3 Likes

Besides the previously mentioned movie, The Warriors, another favorite of mine that fits this thread is Escape from New York.

6 Likes

I picked up Criterion’s transfer when it came out. The last time I watched it, I started focusing on the actors playing the restaurant staff. They play it so straight and the blocking is really interestingly complex which gives it a cool kinetic energy.

The only other Malle movie I’ve seen was “Elevator to the Gallows” from 25 years before… really only to see the Miles Davis soundtrack in context. It has some long “real time” stretches.

3 Likes

Apparently it was filmed in the dead of winter and the restaurant didn’t have working heating, so all those ‘staff’ members (plus Shawn, Gregory, Malle, etc.) were freezing the whole time, which makes everyone’s performances even more interesting.

1 Like

The Swimmer was released three years after it was filmed, because no studio wanted to touch it. And it actually downplays the surreal magic realism of the original short story, in which the guy actually seems to be moving through years of his life during his trip through the pools.

3 Likes

Or, speaking of Linklater, I think that’s the case with Slacker too, right?

3 Likes

I just remembered this one.
canada lol GIF

4 Likes

Adventures in Babysitting may be by far the extra most bestest example. Discuss:

3 Likes

Pros: Love Elizabeth Shue
Cons: Haaaaate Chris Columbus

1 Like