Greydon Clark. A Slice Above?

One of my favorite Rifftrax riffs: “‘Directed by Greydon Clark’: The Mr. Yuk sticker of movies.”

4 Likes

Credit where it’s due, though: I think Angel’s Revenge is a fun movie. Not amazing or anything, but so distinctly of its time that it’s sort of fascinating. Gotta love the Hollywood Squares-level celebrity cameos.

4 Likes

But Hollywood Squares had actual humor in it.

3 Likes

There’s truth there. Angels Revenge (1979) worked hard to be funny and never was. Forcing humor always makes it worse. You saturate it with sitcom actors way past their prime? It raises the decibels of what isn’t funny. This is a blueprint of what not to try in a film like this. Which is why it’s on MST3K.

3 Likes

I had no idea he produced Hobgoblins! Shame on him! I did enjoy Angels Revenge, or as the disc said “a 70’s jigglefest”. It’s mostly fun because of all the washed up actors that appeared in it. Alan Hale, Peter Lawford, Jack Parlance, Pat Buttrum, and of course, the sad appearance by Jim Backus.

Not much of a fan of Final Justice. I’ve seen it, but only once. That should tell you what I think of it.

Speaking of Hobgoblins, I had a nice back and forth email with Rick Sloane. He’s a genuinely nice guy that answered all my questions and provided me with some neat inside info about the movie.

3 Likes

It’s a miracle Daran Norris managed to have a successful voice actor career after this AND Hobgoblins. It’s also a miracle Tony Curtis managed to just have a career after Star Games.

3 Likes

You should also watch the Bridget and Mary Jo Rifftrax version of the full movie, it’s another gem from the ladies. Poor Alan Hale Jr., who did this and The Giant Spider Invasion. At least in Angels Revenge his role is short. Lest we not forget his Gilligan’s Island co-star Jim Backus is also in this.

3 Likes

Now I’ll forever be wondering if Peter Lawford only got that role after Peter Marshall turned it down. :wink:

3 Likes

I’m learning all sorts of stuff here about Greydon Clark! I didn’t know he produced Hobgoblins or that he directed Angels Revenge. I love his stuff – Uninvited and Star Games are among my favorite RiffTrax.

Fresh off the Coleman Francis thread, I’m trying to figure out where he fits in the pantheon of directors. Certainly a significant cut above Hal Warren, Ed Wood and Coleman. Maybe “the direct-to-video equivalent” of them – where they might have ended up had they lived into the modern era?

He’s a gem and I’m so grateful for his movies.

1 Like

Greydon Clark - Without Warning Q&A Part 1.

Greydon Clark - Without Warning Part 2.

Without Warning - Greydon Clark - HorrorHound Q&A.

Greydon Clark - Discussing First Directorial Gig.

Rifftrax clip of Star Games (1997).

Good Bad Flicks on The Return (1980).

Uninvited (1987) - An Interview With Greydon Clark.

Watching Rifftrax’s Uninvited now, and I always expect the usual blend of dumb and sordid but forget about the trademark GC ludicrous rubber puppet until I see it.

4 Likes

According to imdb trivia for Final Justice, he had nothing to do with Hobgoblins, and MST3K was incorrect.

cut/paste:
When Greydon Clark’s name appears in the credits, Tom Servo exclaims “Greydon Clark, the producer of Hobgoblins, we’re doomed!” [Greydon Clark] had no involvement in the production of [Hobgoblins]

1 Like

I was gonna bring that up since I never saw Clark’s name on Hobgoblins and assumed Kevin had been mistaken.

1 Like

I chalked it to Kevin knowing something I didn’t. It is a riff in 1008 over Greydon Clark’s credit and said with such authority I accepted it even though I couldn’t locate any corroboration to back it up. My thanks to you and @CodeE on your research and efforts to pin this down. Apologies on this. I had doubts on this but I trusted the research of the writers who are usually right on the money.