Group Watch You-Riff of public domain educational films tonight at 7 pm EST before the MST3K group watch.

So, as I mentioned in two other threads (accidentally, because it was only supposed to be one), I thought it would be fun to watch unriffed old public domain movies so we could riff on them ourselves. I figured out how to broadcast them on Twitch, so this is now possible. Are people interested? We could either do it via the forums or on the Twitch chat or both.

I’d like to know sooner rather than later so I can make sure we have a good selection of stuff to watch and I think short films would be a good test to see if this works.

What do you think, sirs?

EDIT: Looks like we’re doing this. Still unresolved- do we do it on the forums or on the Twitch chat? Please chime in with your opinion.

URL: https://www.twitch.tv/flyingsquidmst3k

Channel: FlyingSquidMST3K

EDIT EDIT: We are doing it here in the forums.

Tonight’s line-up:

Everyday Courtesy
Cindy Goes to a Party
How a Watch Works
Make Mine Freedom

Plus, some surprises.

6 Likes

I’ve got a small stockpile of public-domain flicks for riffing, they’re mainly sci-fi, but none of them are good.

3 Likes

The Internet Archive has a huge number of them. And if we start doing this, I’d love to do more than just sci-fi. They have a bunch of B-movie Westerns archived.

2 Likes

I think there’s a watchalong tonight. Will that overlap?

2 Likes

I know nothing of your Twitch, Earth Squid. What am I supposed to do?

2 Likes

Post a link when you are ready, and I’ll show up when I can!

1 Like

I thought it wasn’t until the 19th? Even if there is one, though, this is at 7 and it will be at 8 and we can just do it for an hour, which is probably plenty for short films.

2 Likes

Just click on the URL. It’s similar to YouTube in that it just plays videos on any system. But they’re all broadcast live.

There are probably even apps for it for Roku and Fire sticks and such, but I don’t know.

1 Like

Would people rather use Twitch’s chat function or do it via the forums?

1 Like

The wife works until 7 (Central) tonight, so I could join in for a bit at 6 before she gets home.

And by gets home, I means walks out of her office and the 5 steps down the hall to the living room since she is WFH.

4 Likes

Yes, Cave Dwellers today at 8 Eastern/5 Pacific.

3 Likes

Perfect. We have something to do for an hour before that then. I see this as an excellent test. Maybe in the future we can do it on another day.

2 Likes

I guess I would have to use twitch on some device.

2 Likes

What are your options? If you can go to a website, you can view Twitch. I think it should even work in a phone browser?

1 Like

I’m wondering if I could use the phone to put video into the Apple TV. But I’d have to use my iPad for posting comments somewhere.

2 Likes

Okay, I have a good lineup a little over 50 minutes long, which should work very nicely. I have only watched one of them (the one I was testing with) because I want to be as spontaneous as everyone else, but if people think that is as a bad idea, I’ll preview them (this saves me a lot of time).

1 Like

https://help.twitch.tv/s/article/twitch-on-apple-tv?language=en_US

2 Likes

There is a Twitch app for Apple TV, assuming you can get to specific streams with it (and it’s not just a browser of existing things).

2 Likes

If anyone else needs help with Twitch, I’ll see what I can do to help. If you want me to play some video as a test to see if it works, let me know.

1 Like

Here is the link to the channel for tonight. I also added it above.

https://www.twitch.tv/flyingsquidmst3k

2 Likes