Guilty pleasure watching (When you're away from home)

Are there any TV shows or movies that you never find yourselves watching at home/on any regular basis, but find yourselves watching and being interested in watching in an engaged active way when you’re away from home?

Airport/plane?
Steelership waiting rooms?
Hotel rooms?
Staying at a friend or family member’s home?

For me, when I have to break down, and admit that I lack the talent or the tools/facilities to do some work on the car, when I find myself sitting inside the waiting room, if I get my hands on the remote, I’ll change it off of any commentary network that’s on and find a home improvement show. It’s amazing how much more I know about fixing irrigation components than many of the people I’ve seen on those shows?

I haven’t been traveling much the past two years, but when I have, I’ve found myself rewatching the original Cowboy Bebop. I’d seen a handful of episodes when I was in Italy when I think MTV Italy had it on? Because I haven’t been traveling, I’m only a handful of episodes in and will likely start over again when I start traveling again frequently…

And, sometimes, I just find myself going down a rathole of tech youtube videos. You wouldn’t think that watching other people assemble network equipment racks would be that interesting, but… I’ll look up, and it’ll be 4 hours later.

So, what guilty TV/Movie/YouTube Series pleasure do you save for when you’re away from home?

2 Likes

TBH one of my great luxuries of being away is having the TV off.

5 Likes

Same, I prefer to avoid the TV on vacation. If I do end up watching it’s usually because other family members have put it on. Often it’s a reality or home&garden type show, so I might watch a bit with them or go do other things.

3 Likes

Haven’t traveled in a bit, but when I had business trips where I expected a lack of entertainment options, I would just grab an anime series or a few movies I bought but hadn’t got around to watching.

When traveling with Family, honestly just didn’t have enough time to watch much of anything.

2 Likes

Don’t feel guilty. You like what you like.

3 Likes

One more reason to have a PLEX. :slight_smile:

There were a few vacations where we found ourselves at loose ends waiting for something or other. A wifi hub and a VPN, poof! access to all of our content.

2 Likes

Well this answer is a bit on the nose but when I go out of town I make sure to load a few episodes of… Mystery Science Theater 3000 onto my laptop :grin:

Not really on topic since I also watch them at home, but yeah otherwise I don’t watch a ton of stuff on vacation

6 Likes

No. But I have been forced to watch some clunkers while trapped on an airplane.

For example I saw Sinister Urge un-riffed before I was into MST3K because it was labelled “noir” on the plane. BARK!!

4 Likes

Was this flight in 1962?

2 Likes

Yes, yes it was :rofl:

6 Likes

Hey, I give the airlines props for carting all those reels of film on to the plane…

3 Likes

At least I got to run the projector

Though it was tough changing reels with a cigarette AND a highball in both hands

4 Likes

But it was cool, baby, and that’s what counts!

3 Likes

homer simpson episode 24 GIF

4 Likes

My sentiments exactly.

If you enjoy something, enjoy it. Wholeheartedly and unabashedly and all that.

3 Likes

If we’re with the kids, chances are Mac & Me (the riffed version, of course) is on.

I will forever associate Barcelona with BoJack Horseman because Mr. wyswysia and I binged it during our feet-resting time.

4 Likes

Yeah, on the rare occasions when I’m sitting in a hotel room alone, I just watch MST3K or RT. :smiley:

5 Likes