Hack The Planet!

Does anyone else here love a cheesy hacker movie?

I think my current favorite is Lawnmower Man 2. Matt Frewer (best known as Max Headroom) in gold armor, on wires, sword fighting in front of 90s-screensaver-quality CGI breaks the goofy meter for me.

The rest of my top 3 are Hackers and Johnny Mnemonic. There are more I like, and others I’m curious about. How about you?

4 Likes

Does The Net count?

5 Likes

What I like about The Net, is that the over-the-top sci-fi hacker movies are more realistic.

2 Likes

If hacking or “cyberspace” is central to the plot, it counts! The Net is on my to-watch list. Apparently it’s well known, I don’t know how I missed it.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t really describe The Net as cheesy, if that is what you are looking for. The tech, while dated by the time the movie even came out, is more realistic than in most movies. It also had Sandy B starring in a strong role as a female hacker. The big problem was that the plot was needlessly complicated, and very hard to follow. It also lacked the charm that would have endeared it to a more targeted audience of computer geeks, which is actually what makes it less cheesy than a movie like Hackers.

3 Likes

In reference to your title, I like Hackers. No, it’s not in any way believable in terms of the hacking, but the characters are fun, it’s well-executed and the soundtrack is terrific.

6 Likes

“Here, let me stick this 80mm CD into a 3.5” floppy disk slot and we’ll be presented with hypercolor, high framerate visuals on a SVGA CRT."

Must include Einstein’s E = mc².

2 Likes

My sister was an extra in Hackers and I met Phantom Phreak IRL.

6 Likes

Goldeneye is probably my favorite film with hacking being fairly (somewhat?) central to the plot. Bonus for being a Joe Don Baker film!

5 Likes

Hello, my name is Werner Brandes.

11 Likes

Beat me to it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Are we counting Swordfish? it has a certain cheesiness to it.

3 Likes

Not a movie, and hackers weren’t always the focus of things, but the cheesiness of how powerful Questworld was in “Real Adventures of Johnny Quest”, from what I remember, makes me chuckle now. …that and how dated the CG looks now.

1 Like

Well if we’re going with TV cartoons, let’s not forget this elite hacker…

6 Likes

Plot twist: Penny was a cyborg too. The thing is only her brain was modified, unlike her uncle.

4 Likes

Then there’s always this lot:

3 Likes

Did anyone ever see the show Scorpion? It was unbelievably stupid. Especially this:

3 Likes

Abso-friggin-loutly!!!
Press escape? Are you kidding me?

3 Likes

I’m a huge Matt Fewer fan (although I did not care for Lawnmower Man 2). He has been in a whole bunch of stuff dating back to the mid-80’s. I liked Max Headroom, but I really became a fan with Doctor Doctor. He has also done a lot of high-profile sci-fi TV series (he seems to show up in most of my favorites), along with voice work and a few small but excellent roles in major films.

On topic: Hackers is my favorite cheesy hacker movie.

5 Likes

I am a fan of pressing the escapekey

5 Likes