Happy Life Day Week - Star Wars Holiday Special!

oh happy day! Tis the week! First aired Friday, November 17, 1978… and good news, everyone!

I saw recently that half of the inspiration for this card is on Disney’s streaming service as a stand-alone piece of work. (The other is Marvel Comics SW #1)

Every year, I paint a card for The Wife’s birthday and for XMas, always centered around the Minions getting up to something in costume… this one was done quite a few years ago, sadly just before Carrie died (yeah that was a crappy weekend).

If you’re not aware of Moebius’ influence on Joe Johnston (and so on SW and BSG) it’s worth looking into. The Art Dept really loved him. The animation, from Nelvana, is a literal attempt at SW in Moebius’ universe…

Friday is the anniversary of the show; again it first aired Friday November 17th, 1978… I won’t tell you to watch all of it (sissy…) but at least find the animation if you can.

10 Likes

The big question every year is whether I will put on the Rifftrax version or the unriffed version. THe wife prefers the riffed version, cause she’s weak.

5 Likes

It’s a good time, “friend”.

2 Likes

I saw the Special when it premiered. I was… 11 or 12, I guess?

Even then, it didn’t seem that much goofier or tackier than every other prime time variety show. I dunno’. I think it’s easier to cope with rampant illogic when you’re little. If only because you feel like you have all the time in the world to waste on it. :thinking:

4 Likes

2 video reviewers I watched at most times reviewed this special.

1 Like

Fun Fact: The choreographer was David Winters, who was choreographer for Kitten with a Whip and director, writer, and producer for Space Mutiny. #AllRoadsLeadToMST3K

4 Likes

Wait… why did Kitten With a Whip need a choreographer?

2 Likes

5 Likes

I was 14 and had blocked it from my memory until Rifftrax dug it up.

Yeah. It was weird that it left no original impression on me, either. Most of TV is like that.

1 Like

Same. Saw it live, didn’t strike 9-year-old me as being much worse than anything else, completely forgot about it until it became a thing again.

2 Likes

I’m sure I watched this as a kid. Hey, it was Star Wars! But yeah, I have no memory of it.

2 Likes

That’s because all of the prime time variety shows back then were insane. For example The Paul Lynde Halloween Special featuring Margaret Hamilton (Wicked Witch of the West), Betty White, and KISS.

2 Likes

Can’t forget the Donny & Marie Star Wars mini-musical, too! Kris Kristopherson as Han Solo! :open_mouth:

1 Like

As a lifelong Star Wars fan one of the things that I enjoy which puts me at odds with large chunks of the fandom is how the franchise can be absolutely godawful AND still deliver A+ material.

3 Likes

Best RT riff here for me: James Earl Jones asking if he should do the baseball speech again.

It’s no “Gabriel’s Fire’s been canceled” but it’ll do.

1 Like

As a completely random throw away comment that gets buried in every youtube fan-video, I liked how they made Mando a pg version of ever cool moment in Boba Fett’s “life”

2 Likes

Ten minutes 'til Life Day!
In the same spirit, here’s the Film Crew and their commentary on Miss Douglas County Stacey Hedger with her spirited tribute to George Lucas brainchild.

1 Like

“Can I borrow a cup of talent”

1 Like

Happy Life Day™ to all who observe it!

4 Likes