Has anyone tried watching the whole series in a year?

I know I’m late, but I’m wondering if I can fill out my 'Certificate of Deep Hurting," and buckle down and watch the whole series (even though I’ve seen almost all of them). . . even the KTMA stuff that’s available.

Anybody else want to do this with me? We can report in! Advice? Food recommendations? Insults?

10 Likes

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

It’s… an experience.

9 Likes

I started watching all of the episodes I have on either physical media or VHX (103 episodes) in January, in the hopes of viewing them all by time Season 13 premier. I have even tossed in the episodes that are up on Peacock that I don’t have, extending it to 109 episodes. I only have Manos to watch, and I will be through season 4.

It is going to be real tough getting through them all. Seasons 5, 6, and 11 are the ones that I have the most episodes for, and they are all tied at 13. Of course there is also season 7, which I only have 4 episodes for. I am also weighing whether or not to skip over the movie. Anyway, if I can get 1 solid weekend binge going in February, I just might have a chance.

2 Likes

I tried, but it took two years.

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve done the whole thing in a year but I do binge watch seasons over the course of a week.

It’s probably doable… I should do it!

2 Likes

I did a start-to-finish run a couple years ago as sort of a “pandemic project” deal. It was fun! I would recommend it.

It was the first time I watched all 176 episodes of the vintage run in order too. (I’m typically a “bouncer” when it comes to watching)

5 Likes

I’ve said this before, but I watch the episodes in dual tracks - that is, one from season 6 might follow one from season 1, and back and forth in order that way. I average at least one a day, so I go through the whole series in less than a year.

5 Likes

I can proudly say that I’ve watched the entire series in one year.

7 Likes

Watched, or had on as background noise? Folks tend to confuse the two. It’s still less than an ep per day, very do-able if you have the time. I wouldn’t try as I’m not likely to watch certain eps of certain hosts, but there’s enough for probably a 6 month run for me. But carving out the time each day? Not a chance.

2 Likes

Same here.

Among other things, it’s something really neat to take stock of how the show evolves and changes over the years.

That, and you end up rediscovering lesser-discussed gems. Case in point, how much talk/attention is dedicated to Colossus and the Headhunters? A benefit of going back through the entire series is to give thought to episodes that haven’t gotten a lot of thought recently.

4 Likes

Maybe make a thing out of it? Like, scribble down (or write in Notepad) a favorite riff per episode, or make note of a favorite host segment that you liked from each episode.

It’s fun to watch the series by itself, but if you can find an angle that gets you to actively engage with what MST3K is throwing at you during your rewatch, it may be easier to make progress through the show.

:smiley:

I’ve always been partial to crackers and dip, and once upon a time, dipping hard pretzels into French vanilla coffee.

I guess the trick is finding that intersection of deliciousness and ease, you know?

2 Likes

Naturally I’m now wondering what the actual total runtime of all episodes would be in order to determine the shortest possible complete watch session.

1 Like

I’ve watched it all the way through several times including twice in the last year and a half. Started over again last week and am on KMTA #K09 at the moment. It’s fun to see the progression of the whole series and despite having seen it all so much I still always get something new out of it.

5 Likes

well 211 eps at roughly 90 minutes each is about 316.5 hours total. that’s a little bit more than 13 whole days straight back-to-back watching. obs impossible, so factoring in 8 hours sleep per day (and adding on more time for sleep as the hour total keeps growing…), you could watch every episode in about just under 20 days. roughly.

4 Likes

@TraV333-IGD has suggestions for your paid time off, in other words.

2 Likes

I have to say, it was surprisingly quite the challenge to watch full MST3K episodes almost every day for several months (took the occasional day off). But, I was definitely proud of myself when I finally got to the last (for now!) episode!

What also motivated me: It was really helpful and comforting to spend a couple hours an evening and not think about COVID. It always comes though for me whenever I felt down and it was really needed after I would spend the daytime taking in all the reports and uncertainly. Forever grateful.

7 Likes

Absolutely. When I was in grad school, I’d have an episode playing pretty much constantly while I was writing and doing research. I listened but it wasn’t getting my full attention and I would go through several episodes in a week, often three or more episodes in a day.

3 Likes

I seriously doubt this experience would be fun or consistently make you laugh.

1 Like

Partly background noise for me, too. By now I’ve seen even the Netflix episodes a few times, and the classic episodes many times. Like TeriG, I generally listen but don’t always watch.

1 Like

As kind of the opposite of background noise, I watched the series in a year while exercising on my stationary bike to distract me.

3 Likes