Have you ever gotten to meet anyone from MST3K?

Joel and Jonah at MST3K Live 30th

8 Likes

I went to the ConventioCon Expo-fest-arama II: Electric Boogaloo in MN back in 199”ahem”. I was (one of several) Torgo for the costume contest, & when Bridget Nelson introduced me, I did Torgo’s “flirting” bit with my fingers near her hair. She was a champ and made the appropriate horrified look the wife/mom in Manos does.
But even better, the main panel was the day before. Afterwards, I was in the stall in the men’s bathroom and heard two loud guys making wise cracks at the urinals. At first I thought, “Jerks”, until I recognized one of the voices. It was Kevin Murphy & Mike Nelson! And no, I didn’t come out & try to shake their hands.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Outside of the meet & greet at the 2017 live show I did meet Kevin & Bill briefly when we were on the same flight to a con in Maine.

Quite surreal to hear Servo’s voice from three rows back crowing* about being able to “read his kindle with impunity.”

*pun intended

*Edited to add: our plane was late in taking off on the way back, so we were literally sprinting through O’Hare to make a connection. Not the kind of thing I’d normally remember, but those fellas could MOVE.

7 Likes

I’ve met the cast from both the most recent live shows, so Jonah, Joel, Rebecca, Nate, Emily, Yvonne, and the others who’s names are unfortunately escaping me off the top of my head. :laughing:

5 Likes

I got to meet most of them several times when they came to Portland as Cinematic Titanic or The Mads. Always friendly.
On one of the visits, the CT crew were signing autographs at a video store and I spotted Gruber relaxing outside. We chatted at length and I never got the sense that he was uncomfortable. Very laid back and friendly.

5 Likes

I was honored to meet the Mads and Bill Corbett at Dragoncon one year and met Joel, Jonah, and the live tour crew for the 30th anniversary. They were all as sweet as could be! Before the live show, I saw Grant at the Puppetry Museum in Atlanta and he remembered seeing me (even though I didn’t say anything to him) later at the live show! :smiley:

11 Likes

I love crows face at tom in the 30th anniversary photo :laughing:

4 Likes

Haven’t met any of the new crew yet; of the original (CC/SciFi) teams, the only ones I haven’t got to meet are Joel, Josh and Bill. Alas, my ConventioCon 2-autographed ACEG has gone walkabout. I’m sure it’s around somewhere, but ‘somewhere’ is a broad area…

3 Likes

My avatar is from when I met Joel at the afterparty for the New York premiere of Reptilicus. We had a lovely 4-to-5 minute chat before the pic was taken. I also met and got pics with Hampton and Baron that night. Alas, I somehow missed Jonah.

I met pretty much everybody who was at the two ConventioCons and got pics with most of them.

And I got a great pic and had a fun talk with Felicia at a con in Baltimore long before her MST casting.

All in all, I’ve been pretty lucky on this front.

5 Likes

I’m still a little bummed that Servo couldn’t be next to Servo. I got boxed in at the end. LOL

4 Likes

Nice! What was Mike’s book?

3 Likes

Trace, Frank (twice), Joel, Mary Jo, Josh. Would love to meet KMB at some point.

3 Likes

A few years ago, we were at the Minnesota State Fair and I spotted Bridget and Mary Jo. I got so excited, I nearly left our kids on the big slide… My wife and I grabbed the kids and ran (ever so cool) over to them to say hello. They were surprised they were even noticed…

Both were extremely nice to the kids and took photos with all of us. They were there taking video of the fair for a commercial for their upcoming “Farm Families in Summer” short (Rifftrax). To our surprise and excitement, they asked if we’d like to be in the commercial!

This commercial is still currently posted on their FB account.

8 Likes

“Mike Nelson’s Movie Megacheese.”

6 Likes

My wife and I went to both of the Conventio-Cons, those were in '94 and '96, we flew from the mid-Atlantic to MN both times so we met all the cast and crew in attendance at the time at those as well as the guest celebrities like Beverly Garland, David Worth, Kim Cattrall, Russell Johnson and Rex Reason. Russell Johnson was hilarious in person, everyone was really nice.

When Cinematic Titanic started in 2008 they weren’t coming near our area that first year so we took our then pre-teen son on his first trip to Minneapolis to see them there and made a little vacation out of it, buying tour shirts and getting them autographed. We went to both of their shows in Philly in July 2009 (front row both nights). Mary Jo remembered us from the MN show and told our son he was her favorite fan. Then Cinematic Titanic (CT) finally came even closer to home the next couple years and we only had to grab the Metro into D.C. for both of those shows. We did the meet and greet at every CT show and bought Trace’s book for our son so Trace could sign it for him. They also autographed some of the DVD cases. And bought the 2009 tour shirts with art for Alien Factor and Danger On Tiki Island.

So between the BBI organized conventions and the Cinematic Titanic shows we’ve met all the major cast and crew of the original show with the bonus of meeting Dave “Gruber” Allen (Higgins Boys and Gruber) too.
ct_joel-300x224

5 Likes

I haven’t but my manager claims to have been in the same dorm as Joel in college. I know a guy who said he knew a guy.

5 Likes

I believe I have met just about everyone from the OG MST3K, with the exception of Mike, Bill and Kevin. I was supposed to finally meet them last year at a live show, but Covid happened… I have also met Jonah, Felicia and Hampton. I will be meeting the new live cast on the new live tour this year as well, so I am stoked for that! I also have a wedding video that some of the cast contributed to a few years ago that I will treasure forever.

6 Likes

I met Trace years ago at a sci-fi con (Dragon Con maybe?) and he signed my “MST3K Amazing Colossal Episode Guide” book. He was very friendly and also gave me a Cinematic Titanic trading card. :grin:

5 Likes

I think one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen was Russell Johnson explaining a bong to Rex Reason, complete with hand gestures. Someone during the GoH Q&A asked what it was like to ‘act inside a bong’. Reason said he didn’t know what a bong was and Johnson immediately leaned over to enlighten him. And it was clear he knew what he was talking (and gesturing) about—well, okay, he did know Bob Denver, so that probably explains that…

I have that on video somewhere. I should get the VHS I shot converted to digital one’a these days.

8 Likes

I remember that well, @tsrdf . One of my fondest memories from the Con panels though was an unpleasant moment, but it was handled so well. I think it was at the first convention, but I can’t be sure. But I remember clearly some younger fan (late teens it looked like) asking the MST3K cast panel “is it true you get less funny as you get older?” to which Kevin Murphy replied in a scathing tone, “Yes, it’s true, in fact, I’m getting less funny right now as I’m answering this.” Wow, I thought he handled that well, putting the guy in his place without being overly cruel or rude about it. Not my favorite convention memory but quite memorable nonetheless. Murphy was quick on his feet with that one! He was also one of the most fun cast members to speak with, being quite friendly and enthusiastic and also generous and patient with all of us who were so excited to meet the cast and crew of our favorite show. :slight_smile:

7 Likes