Have you ever walked out on a movie?

I’ve only done it once myself.

I walked out mid-way through, demanded my money back, and have never revisited it. I hear the ending involves a cyborg dolphin, so I stand by my choice as the correct one.

How about you? Ever found a movie in the theater so awful that you couldn’t take it?

7 Likes

Never. The way I see it, I made my decision and it’s on me. The closest I believe I’ve come is Star Trek (2009,) but I sat through it to the bitter end.

3 Likes

One time I couldn’t see the screen but the person in front of me got up in a huff and left the theater. I could see the cyborg dolphin after that.

4 Likes

I got really close on Out of Africa. To be fair, I was 13…lol.

6 Likes

All I needed to know was it starred Meryl Streep and Robert Redford to realize it was not for me.

3 Likes

I was not alone. So a bunch of us got up in a huff.

2 Likes

I walked out of Machete Kills, but I would never ask for a refund. Way I see it, a movie ticket is a lottery ticket.

4 Likes

I doubt I would ask for one now, but I was only 18 and I needed the money.

3 Likes

Edited the topic because the ‘refund’ part is unnecessary.

1 Like

Nope, never demanded a refund (per the original subject title)

I have left a dumb movie after a half hour and sauntered into another theater to watch a marginally better dumb movie.

I saw Norbit at the second run, $1 theater, I walked out of that, but you know, I wasn’t going to demand my dollar back. lol

One of the Ring sequels, teenagers just wouldn’t shut their stupid mouths, so I finally gave up and got a credit for a later date (I went to a whole different film)

I walked out of Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, but only because my arse and lower back was killing me - the seats were really hard and uncomfortable, but it was a freebie, part of a double feature with Anomolisa - I made through that one, but after a half hour of the second…

I guess I could have requested a refund, “I want my zero dollars back!!” Failing that, I could have demanded a donut (and not the kind you eat).

4 Likes

The rest of us got up in a minute and a huff.

9 Likes

waka waka waka

JM is a good movie and is worth repeated viewings. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I’ve never walked out of a movie because it was so terrible, but the 2006 reboot of The Poseidon Adventure made me run out to toss my cookies from this vertigo-inducing scene:

4 Likes

Shout out to The Man In The Iron Mask (1998), Crash (2004) and one of the Saw sequels. I can’t remember which one.

I’m sure I’ve sat through worse films though. It’s all very random. The Man In The Iron Mask was actually a date, and she opted to stay in the film! Yikes!

4 Likes

You know… I think I saw The Man in the Iron Mask? But I couldn’t tell you a thing about it.

2 Likes

Only once:

It’s been so long I don’t recall much about it, only that I made it about 1/3 of the way through. Didn’t ask for a refund, just cut my losses and left.

The closest since then was Norm of the North; my then-wife and I took our then-5-year-old daughter to see it. Probably not really worse than any of the other just-for-kids animated schlock, but this one was so riddled with cliché and general pandering that it was tortuous to sit through. I seriously considered whether it was worse to sit through the rest of it or deal with the fallout of abandoning both of them to escape it (ultimately stuck it out, was quite painful).

2 Likes

Oh dear god, Red Planet. I should have walked out on that one.

It had the most blatant product placement I ever saw. At the end, one of the characters is reliving parts of the movie, and there’s an earlier scene where they (stupidly) recreate the shape of DNA in zero G with M&Ms… and in the flashback sequence, you see another character thrusting a bag of M&Ms at the camera. That never happened earlier in the movie. They just stuck it in because Mars, Inc. (get it?) gave them a lot of money.

2 Likes

Once. I went to see Robocop when I was… 12? 13? 14? I left after this:

I don’t blame you for ditching Johnny Mnemonic though, that movie was awful. Some movies are edited in a blender. That one was edited in a Salad Shooter.

I’ve turned off a few movies I rented before finishing, but the first I remember was V.I. Warshawski. Love Kathleen Turner but that movie was sooooo bad.

5 Likes

It’s my understanding that Turner was trying to get that movie made for years too. She was a big fan of the books.

2 Likes

I heard the books were very good! The movie… was not

3 Likes