HELP! Need Good Sci/Fi & Horror Flicks From The Last 10 Years!

Gotta new gf 9 years my junior…she’s picky…wont watch anything older than 10 years!! :tired_face: Weve seen some good stuff, so far! “Crawlspace” was Excellent! “Cell” had a unique angle on the zombie-theme with some digs at the “phone-society”. I thought “The Last Voyage of the Demeter” was great too!

I’m not into much of the new movies that come out, these-days. What are some good Sci-Fi or Horror flicks that have come out in the last 10 years?

3 Likes

I watch very few of those, but I liked Barbarian a lot.

3 Likes

10 years? That would be grounds for a break-up right there.

I’m a horrible film snob, and I dislike recommending movies to strangers - heck, that can even be difficult with people you know (my brother doesn’t do subtitles very well - so when I recommended Trollhunter, and he later said he didn’t care for it and then admitted to watching it with English dubbing… well that’s your problem ding bat, the dubs are terrible!)

With that in mind these are not recommendations so much as ones I personally liked in the past 10 years or so. Watch at your own peril.

Sci-fi (some with scary layers) - Ex Machina, Snowpiercer, Under the Skin, Looper, Source Code, Edge of Tomorrow, Prey, Nope, Love and Monsters

Leans more into horror - The Witch, Ready or Not, Don’t Breathe, Green Room, Barbarian, Black Phone (but they are doing a part 2, and BLEEP that… story should just end)

And I liked Spontaneous, though that’s not pure horror (though something horrifying happens within it). It has a lot of satire, gallows humor, and romance - it made me tear up, so there was more to it.

3 Likes

Good by normal peoples standards … or by our standards? :thinking:

Prototype on FreeVee is a proper Turkey with no real ending, but enjoyed it … imagining our MST3K crews riffing it?

:thinking:

3 Likes

Seriously though, do they have to be movies, or are series acceptable?

Off the top of my head?

Tales From the Loop
For All Mankind
Silo
Fallout
Foundation
Andor
Resident Alien
The Sandman
Good Omens
Monarch Legacy of Monsters
Black Mirror
Doctor WHO (of course)
Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency
Picard

Movies?

The Martian
Ready Player One
Dimuenudu
Her
Rouge One

Mini-series / movie ?

Around the World in 80 Days - w/ David Tennant

Everything else I can think of is at least 12 years old???

Shrug.

3 Likes

I was going to include Looper, but thought it was older than 10 years old?

3 Likes

2012, close enough

4 Likes

Pacific Rim (it’s 2013, but that’s close enough?)

A Quiet Place (both the first one and part 2 are worth a watch, haven’t seen the new one that just came out)

And if series are on the table, absolutely watch Andor asap, it’s fantastic.

And the recent Dune, parts one and two should be worth it.

Arrival, if you’re in to more cerebral sci-fi.

Interstellar

And Godzilla (2014) was cool.

Shin Godzilla and Shin Ultraman if you’re not opposed to foreign language films.

Edge of Tomorrow aka Live. Die. Repeat. That’s an amazing movie. Definitely check that out if you haven’t already.

5 Likes

Yeah…she’s not into TV and movies at all, so its tough to find a flick to watch together. She doesnt like Star Wars or Trek and is not into watching any series. She’s very picky…missing out on a lot of great stuff from the past. Maybe I can change her mind someday. But thanks for the list…we’ll give them a shot!

3 Likes

Yeah and since I’m very ignorant of these new movies coming out…we have to sit thru some MAJOR :poop: sometimes! But she lets me slip into MST-joke mode and that helps me get thru the movie! :laughing:

3 Likes

Thanks for the ideas. She probably wont do Godzilla…but will do suspense. Gotta get her to open up to Hitchcock, someday…this is a challenge for sure!

3 Likes

Great movie!

5 Likes

I liked the one with Charlie Sheen from long before.

2 Likes

The decade limit is BRUTAL!

Admitting that here we go…

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) - In your face look at life in the fast lane. Probably more profanity in this than in anything else ever made. Be prepared. This is R. The levity whisks it to unconventional amusement and the telling is addicting in its ups and downs. Corporate Crimes and the Lifestyles of the Rich and Shameless. #172 on my Best Ever List.

Gone Girl (2014) - Disorientation as movie experience. David Fincher toys with you as only a master can. What you think you know you really don’t. Marriage as a minefield and a picture you won’t see coming. Atmosphere and story hold you by the short hairs. #173 on my Best Ever List.

The Martian (2015) - A masterful mix of sci-fi, comedy, and drama and a tour de force performance by Matt Damon. Impeccable cast, great direction, and a soundtrack that’s unforgettable. Surprisingly human for the film it is. A movie I watch repeatedly. #174 on my Best Ever List.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019) - An examination of the 60s from peace and love to the bitter end. Humorous, immersive, and repeatedly watchable. So many amazing songs and moments. #175 on my Best Ever List.

The Irishman (2019) - Massively long and equally impressive. The disquiet of mob life lived large over a wasted life. Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Joe Pesci. History and the unthinkable mix wonderfully. #176 on my Best Ever List.

The Hateful Eight (2015) [Roadshow] - The theatrical version is good enough. A western thriller laced with the horrific and featuring stellar acting and top notch music by Ennio Morricone. #265 on my Best Ever List.

Interstellar (2014) - E.T. (1982) Meets 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968). Heartfelt, unnerving, and emotionally captivating. Hans Zimmer outdoes himself with the score and everything else is stunning. #307 on my Best Ever List.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - No Jedis, No Skywalkers, it is a war film that takes place in the Star Wars Universe. It is the best of the Disney crop of these films. #365 on my Best Ever List.

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) - Saturday Matinee for the next generation. Next level effects, standalone story, and talent across the board. It is Star Wars without the baggage of a franchise. It obviously had sequels but I’m only recommending this one. #366 on my Best Ever List.

Split (2017) - M. Night Shyamalan is back in an unrelenting look at a disturbed mind. Don’t read anything about it. Just watch this blind and prepare for a ride. The Male Carrie and equally effecting. #379 on my Best Ever List.

The Holdovers (2023) - A Christmas movie about lonely miserable people who connect during the holidays. A decidedly old-fashioned flick that moves you with its sincerity. Magnificent from beginning to end. The second best film from last year. #380 on my Best Ever List.

Killers of the Flower Moon (2023) - A crime procedural combined with a romance. 3 and a 1/2 hours but positively stellar. Finish it before passing any judgment. The premise feels political but the movie is not. It’s true crime in the beginning of the 20th Century. Most everyone in it is unattractive and that authenticity fuels it. #389 on my Best Ever List.

The Post (2017) - Early 70s conspiracy thriller meets the newspaper business. Tom Hanks, Meryl Streep. Star power, Spielberg directing, and it truly nails time and place. If you let it, it might bother you due to its subject. As long as you relax and soak it in? It’s money. #409 on my Best Ever List.

It: Chapter One (2017) : A look at childhood innocence faced with the ultimate horror. It’s as much a coming of age as it is suspense and all the better for it. #429 on my Best Ever List.

Blade Runner 2049 (2017) - Seeing the original isn’t necessary. Exquisite production, finely tuned, and extraordinary. 163 minutes. It builds a world and sucks you in. Old fashioned in a new world. #432 on my Best Ever List.

Glass (2019) - One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest for Superheroes. Yet done realistically like a drama. The psychology of those who think they’re special and the woman dedicated to convince them otherwise. Complex, passionate, and not what you’d expect. Is destined to go on my Best Ever soon. Watch Split before this.

Black Phone (2022) - Period nailbiter delving into the supernatural. Young man is in an impossible situation and it grabs you and never lets go. One of the best films of this decade and the little touches excel. Another one for the list.

Scream 4 (2011) - A satire on remakes and movies about movies. Tense, amusing, scary. She doesn’t need to see the others to get it. It sells itself. Also imminent on my Best Ever List.

3 Likes

I almost forgot 10 Cloverfield Lane. Despite the Cloverfield in the title, it works fine as a great standalone thriller with some Sci fi accents, especially towards the end. Awesome performance by the ever reliable John Goodman.

3 Likes

You should really do Unbreakable and then Split. But first one is 2000. :confused: Then Glass.

3 Likes

PROBLEM IS Unbreakable (2000) is 24 years ago and his girlfriend won’t watch anything over 10 years old. I excluded it for that very reason. Split (2017) works on its own and only at the very end does it connect with it. It was a “stealth sequel.” The first of its kind. You could watch Split and Glass (2019) together without Unbreakable.

3 Likes

P.S. With respect, Unbreakable (2000) doesn’t impress me. It’s overrated honestly. The human element is lost. It’s so stricken and sad the emotions are muted except the lament that covers the film. Shyamalan is renown for his emotions and spiritual quality. People struggle in his movies and shine through at various moments lending his films depth and variety. Ever so often, his mood dominates too much. Unbreakable feels like hospice. Everyone is waiting to die. Even when David finds his calling, “happiness” can’t fight back the fog of apathy, indifference, and powerlessness that swamps the film. Even the ending is an anti-climax that resolves itself with text not action. Nothing is really resolved only concluded. The film is more a first act covering the whole. Night even admitted it in interviews. Then we waited 17 years for Part 2 which actually can be seen solo since only the final 2 minutes relates.

3 Likes

Thanks Everyone! This beats going thru a long list of movies on screen, I dont know :poop: about and trying to figure out if they’re any good! :grin:

3 Likes

You’re welcome sir. One thought on Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019). Some people on a first viewing were so overwhelmed and taking in so much that they found it boring on a first view. Some not all. With that one, I would watch it more than once before pronouncing sentence. It is like a cult movie and a big production in one. Quirky, nostalgic, but not overdone. To me and my best friend, we watch it once or twice a year. Once you get it, you can’t stop watching it. The same with The Wolf of Wall Street (2013).

2 Likes