HELP US HELP YOU, A POLL: Problems with audio volume levels in episode 1301! Please respond šŸ™

We had problems connecting to the stream, so in the end we had to watch on my phone using the link in the email. We clicked the link and the phone opened a window from the email that showed the stream (no other method was working) and we cast that to the TV.

Then about 20 minutes in things seemed to get sorted out better and we dropped the stream from my Outlook email and were able to use the Gizmoplex on a Roku.

1 Like

Laptop hdmi to receiver to home theater system and projector.

Once I turned the volume high enough to hear the movie dialogue then the riffers were way too loud when they shout riffs.

This is not the case when I watch the Netflix series episodes. but I usually watch those through my ps4. Iā€™m gonna watch a Netflix episode through the gizmoplex and see if it has a similar issue and will get back to you.

I heard some folks here had success with changing some settings on their receiver and will play with that as soon as I can too. Probably wonā€™t happen till the weekend though.

Appreciate all your hard work.

edit: Watching the replay with headphones and itā€™s still an issue but is MUCH better. Which is interesting. I donā€™t know enough about audio to see why it would matterā€¦ is the livestream mixed for just stereo (2 speakers) and then my home theater system makes it sound bad by trying to transfer it to the 3 speaker setup I have (center channel and two main speakers on the side). I could easily see that being the case and if there is a fix I can do on my end it would be great to get that info out there for others having the same issue as me.

but still on the headphones it seems like it could be mixed a lot better than it is.

1 Like

I watched it live on a Firestick and the movie was noticeably quieter than the riffs and host segments. I watched again on Saturday and it was the same. I donā€™t have this issue when watching the classics on Gizmoplex or other apps on the same device. I checked my other Firestick just now, and it was the same.

3 Likes

I had no connectivity issues or any issues with the sync, and I was watching on a laptop via Firefox.

If the riffs were louder than the movie, I have to honestly say that I didnā€™t notice until it was pointed out, but then again, the sound on my computer shouldnā€™t really be the standard by which any audio volume issues should be gauged.

1 Like

I had no audio or syncing issues. I was watching through the MST3K Android app on a Sony smart TV.

1 Like

For me the riffs were ear-bleedingly loud compared to the movie. I had to turn the volume down because people were sleeping in the next room and the riffs were so intense, but in doing so the movie dialog was so faint I missed quite a bit of it. Borderline unwatchable Iā€™m sorry to say. Tried watching the replay the next day and it was the same.

5 Likes

We watched via Google TV using the chromecast with Google TV dongle.

The volume of the movie was much lower than the riffs until after the first sketch segment. Then the volume seemed much closer and I was able to turn it down to a reasonable level and still hear the movie. Prior to that I was having to set the movie to a just-audible level and deal with the loud riffing.

EDIT: As an aside, we havenā€™t watched the VOD, but we have watched two of the vault picks (Outlaw of Gor and Teenagers from Outer Space), and the volume levels on the vault picks were just fine.

2 Likes

I watched live on my Roku hooked up to my home theater (7.1 system) and could hear the riffs and movie just fine. Host segments were a bit louder with a wider soundscape (movie seemed to be all center channel), also during the host segments there was what I assume is the mechanical noise of the SOL coming out of the side speakers and that got a bit distracting at times.

1 Like

I found that a lot when I had a 7:1 system.

Undoubtedly it was recorded in glorious MONO!

1 Like

Watched on Roku TV. Like others, the movie was to quiet and the riffs were too loud. I was constantly adjusting the volume up and down.

3 Likes

Hi thereā€“I kind of assumed that the quiet movie/loud riffs was intentional, as I noticed it at times in season 12 as well (I think Mac and Me had moments where the movies seemed mixed way, way down in the volume).

It was particularly noticeable as Iā€™d just watched a few older episodes in the days leading up to the premiere, where the mixes were a bit more balanced.

All that said, I really hope the volume of the film comes up in the mix some (btw: I watched on Roku, half of the episode almost right after the live event ended, and the second half after the shorter version of the live stream was available).

1 Like

I watched the live premiere on Apple TV and it sounds like I had a similar experience to the majority here: the movie was way quieter than the riffs. I had to crank the volume up during the movie segments, then turn it back down for the host segments. The VOD version of the event seems exactly the same.

As a few others have pointed out, the issue is much, much, much less pronounced when using headphones.

2 Likes

I had the same experience. Not ALL the riffs but any of the shouted riffs (especially from Jonah) were so loud it was uncomfortable to my ears when I had it loud enough to hear the movie.

I think itā€™s important to emphasis the severity of the issue for some of us. It really does get to the unwatchable sideā€¦ only reason it doesnā€™t is cause a lot of the riffs are calmer and quieter and they were less dense in this episode.

Saying ā€˜the movie is too quiet and riffs too loudā€™ doesnā€™t quite explain how loud was too loudā€¦ it really was earsplitting sometimes.

2 Likes

Adding to the others. Roku (Ultra) via HDMI to my system and watched VOD. The hosting segments were fine but there was a bit much a different between the movie and the riffs where the riffs were noticeably louder than the movie so it was hard to find a volume comfortable to bothā€¦

1 Like

Serious audio issues using the app on a Roku TV. At the time I thought it was just part of opening night technical difficulties.

If you canā€™t hear the movie dialog then a lot of the riffs donā€™t make sense, so I kept the remote in hand and tried to adjust the volume.

Frustrating

2 Likes

The riffs were louder than the film in general, but not horrifically so.

The host segments were markedly louder than the film and the riffs.

Watched Tuesday night, on the Gizmoplex.

2 Likes

I was AirPlaying to my TCL 4K via an iPhone XR. (I was listening with wired noise cancelling headphones btw) The one thing that I noticed was that the door sequence sound effects were quite loud and drowning out some of the riffs right as the first door closes. Thatā€™s all :innocent:

2 Likes

my partner mentioned this too, he didnā€™t catch some of barronā€™s riffs

2 Likes

Iā€™m a bit of an audio geek (guitar stuff, mostly). Iā€™m wondering if the perceived difference in volume may be due to some compression or automatic gain control processing on the riff track during post-production. Basically, if you try to match the volumes of the movie and the riffing, but the riffing has less dynamic range, then the riffing may naturally seem louder overall.

1 Like

While waiting for the live stream to start, the music volume was extremely low and almost inaudible. Having the volume up to a point you could barely hear it meant we were blasted when Joel finally came on. The riffs during the movie and host segments were louder than the movie itself.

Watched live on the Apple iOS app and streamed to our TV

3 Likes