Historic Landmarks

Places you visit. Tourist Attractions, Where History Happened, Something Interesting. Any locales have you at Hello? Architecture, a person’s home, geography. Have a favorite? Is there one on you’d like see some day?

7 Likes

I went to Hearst Castle 21 years ago.

8 Likes

I utterly hated St Louis, but I kinda dig this picture I took of the Arch

9 Likes

I’ve been to a lot of historic places, unsurprisingly. Even ignoring job-related stuff, there’s just a lot of them around here. I’m a few minutes from a medieval city wall, a Roman bathhouse, and a castle, just for starters. It’s hard to pick just one to talk about!

Here’s one from a trip far away quite a long time ago now, Casa Grande in Arizona. It’s actually a historic building protected by what is now another historic building.

7 Likes

GREAT angle BTW.

5 Likes

I’m only speaking for myself, but I’d love to hear any of them. Pick one! LOL!!!

1 Like

Nice! I went to see Wupatki when I visited my brother in Flagstaff a couple of years ago. That was quite the site!

I live in New Orleans and work in the French Quarter so I’m surrounded by Historic landmarks every day.

6 Likes

The Mahoning Drive-In Theater. Opened in 1949, it is the largest intact screen on the East Coast. They play entirely retro fare since 2014. They show almost entirely film prints and have theme weekends from April to October. They have Back to the Future Weekend or The Muppets Take Mahoning Weekend or over the 4th of July Harry Potter Week. It is exactly as it was in 1949. Not much has changed and from all sides it’s surrounded by mist in the morning, mountains all around, and open country as far as the eye can. Any of you living close should check it out.

10 Likes

How massive is it?

@Satoris720. This is the place I told you about.

Ever been to a Drive-In @jimmy_two_times?

Drive-in movies or like a Velvet Fog style drive-through where the gals wear roller skates?

Yeah, sure. Had some good times at drive-ins as a young child. Couldn’t tell you what pictures we saw but it was a good trip every time.

1 Like

Instant nostalgia those places.

1 Like

Well, ain’t no much more of those places still around, at least where I’m at.

Probably something to do with real estate and development.

A bit too young to do the classic “hide a bunch of people in the trunk of the car” and all that, but it was a thing growing up out in the sticks.

Never done the whole “popcorn” trick from that movie Diner…well…OK, things got a bit heated even into my early twenties, just going to classic small revival houses…but by my time it wasn’t as much of a “first date” thing, just if you were seeing a gal and looking for something to do, the smaller movie theaters were a good way to pass the time.

Saw a lot of terrible movies that way, but, hey, it was always a cheap date and always with somebody I was “with” at the time, so, no harm done.

1 Like

Exactly. My Canadian friend Sean and I made 5 multi-state treks to that Mahoning Drive-In listed above. Other trips too but those we’re the longest. That place is like returning to your childhood and I would urge any movie lover to visit there at least once. Good movies, Bad movies, simply the experience and the camaraderie of a pal burns those times into memory. Or does me.

1 Like

Are you saying the movies are the friends we made along the way? :innocent:

Eh. So many good times at movie theaters…some with pals/partners, and a lot of times just flying solo.

That was one nice thing about the city Paris…tiny little theaters who would just run through an entire director’s œuvre in a day, pretty much (unless it was somebody relentless like Claude Chabrol who made hundreds of movies…or however many…it’s a lot he made, and many of them are grim, sobering, and ironic to the extreme)…a lot of times, the ticket-taker would fade out for a bit, so, you could just spend the ten hours or so ingesting some of the works of the “great directors.” You know, if one has a day off or over a weekend.

That’s why I like Truffaut as a director…he made over a double handful of movies, but there’s hardly a dud among them. No, they’re not all great movies, that he did, but he put some effort in. And, entre nous, the Antoine Doinel character “arc” got old pretty fast…you know, see it once and you’ve already got the idea.

I don’t know if Truffaut’s true medium was film…perhaps he would have been better suited for another medium…but you see something like his La peau douce and the (IMHO) obvious tribute to Hitchcock for the whole movie, you can see he had the whole thing.

And he captured many very personal actors doing their thing on camera, which is not something everybody can do.

1 Like

Truffaut might be a finer writer than director. He excelled in both whereas I could contend his Hitchcock book was the best single thing he did. And I loved him in Close Encounters (1977). In my terrible childhood, movies were the friends I never had. You picked up on that without me even having to say it. I have since found friends although I still think of film as individual personalities and amalgamations of time and place from that experience. The film watching itself remains an act I respond strongly to even today.

1 Like

Don’t have a link right at the moment, and don’t mean to disrupt your flow, but there is actual video/audio of the original tapes whence that tremendous opus came.

The interpreter (she’s going from FR<->EN) is astounding…you know how intricate and detailed, even just technically (jargon-wise), Hitch and Truffaut got to be…

I know Hitch didn’t speak French, and Truffaut could speak…you know, sort of English…Englishish.

Highly recommend looking it up on LeTube (it must be up there someplace, the videos…which of course are long)…I don’t know how that interpreter managed, but, obviously, it made for one hell of a book. One of the gold standards of interviewing.

It is fascinating to watch the interpreter at work. Yes, I speak French and English (I hope!) but I cannot imagine doing her job. Even translating just in written form I find pretty difficult.

Yeah. I think I know what you mean. When I was a kid, I’d have little notebooks and write out bits of dialogue from mostly pre-1970s movies.

I think it helped me find my “voice” as a person…sort of like writing out transcriptions of music using pencil and staff paper was a big part of me becoming a musician. Yeah, I can throw down, but I had to work at it, to get to that level of basic competence, and almost 100% of that was from learning to hear things, read, write, all that.

1 Like

I am totally with you on finding my “voice” that way and absorbing thought, appreciating consistency, and gaining ability purely by being open to improving and trying. Movie dialogue impacted how I talked and how I looked at relationships. Enough so years after, my best friend admitted I talked like a movie character and that was absolutely right. Hell much of my rhythm in writing hails from that as well. It’s what I had to work with. None of it was conscious. Merely inherited. On Hitch and Truffaut, I’ve heard much of the audio and it adds that much more to what they did.

Yeah. I’m still amazed the interpreter and transcriber was able to do such a fantastic, accurate job.

I think I’ve only heard the tapes once or maybe twice, but didn’t catch any mistakes by the interpreter. She’s really the star of the show, AFAIC. And Truffaut has that kind of French accent that is almost tending to stress-timed rather than syllable-timed…so, it’s easy to pick up every word. Of course his accent is Parisian, but most times when he speaks you can tell he’s a bit of country boy…a local yokel…

Yeah. Even to this day, I pretty much learned to speak in movies. You know, a little bit of Robert De Niro from the 1970s or 1980s, a little bit of whatever. When one is young, you learn that stuff!

Even though I was out in the sticks for most of my childhood, we had a great library, which included a bunch of the greats on VHS. Chaplin, Welles, Allen, I mean, everything, really.

Of course, as I got older, I learned everybody’s names and all that. Howard Hawks (Hawk!) and David Lynch and everybody, but as a kid, those were just what I could do for free. Yeah, I rode my bike and all that, had my little buddies and all that but after age seven (?) or so, it was all about me playing music on our burnt-out upright and finding movies and such.

Do you mind explaining?

I can guess, probably, but guessing ain’t knowing!

1 Like