Holy crap, Kirk Thatcher!

I was totally awestruck when I saw the latest update and saw that Kirk Thatcher was now a writer on MST3K

And in case you don’t know (or think you don’t know) who Kirk Thatcher is, here’s a reminder:

Not only did he play the part, he also wrote and performed the song.

He’s also a creature creator who has worked on Star Trek, Star Wars, and the Muppets, as well as recreating his most famous role in Spider-Man, Homecoming.

I was totally gobsmacked to see him now writing for MST. We are in for some treats this season.

15 Likes

Kirk Thatcher has also done writing for a lot of Muppet movies (Yes that Kirk Thatcher and yes those Muppets)

He has a great quote along the line of: No matter what I do my tombstone will always read “Punk rocker on bus in Star Trek IV”

6 Likes

Do you know how to get a copy of that song?!?!?!? I’ve wanted one since I saw the movie!

There’s a recording here:

There’s also a couple of different versions, some with lyrics, on YouTube

3 Likes

I had a similar reaction (HOLY CRAP!) and I was actually writing in the same room. :laughing: I held it together though. There’s only been a couple people this season who I shared a writers room with that made me feel a little… well, “intimidated” is not exactly the word, because everyone is so great and friendly, but maybe a little boggled. One of the things I love about this job is discovering who else loves MST3K and wants to write for it.

9 Likes

I’m STILL gobsmacked after seeing Michael Sheen in the second MST3K Kickstarter telethon.

5 Likes

Honestly SO WAS I.

6 Likes