Home Improvement Projects or Other Projects Around Your Place

Yeah the building next door was permitted to be a big storage building,. Only after that permit was closed out did I go in and furnish it into a ‘tiny house’ :sunglasses:
The city should stay out of our home project business!

3 Likes

Surprisingly easy*, the shelter just GAVE her to us

*Easy of installation may not be indicative of ease of operation. Dog subject to separation anxiety and fits of rage at the existence of other dogs. Do not install German Shorthaired Pointer near squirrels, cats, rabbits, or other small animals. Your mileage may vary.

9 Likes

My sister converted her garage into a man cave, complete with built-in shelving across the entire wall that has the garage door in it.

Her: Permits? We don’t need no stinkin’ permits!

(She’s since sold the house and now it’s the new owners’ problem.)

3 Likes

I probably won’t ever sell my house so I shouldn’t have to worry about that :grin:

3 Likes

Every GSP I’ve ever met has been exceptionally smart. Also very farty.

2 Likes

She was smart but not too farty. We’ve gotten lucky in the farty dog department, considering we’ve also had a American Bulldog and two mastiffs. The current one doesn’t fart much but when he does, HOLY COW.

Just to get back on topic, I do have one DIY project that I already showed off on the Pandemic Projects thread…

4 Likes

This afternoon, my non-farty dog farted and it scared her and she ran away.

3 Likes

Wow and I thought the before picture was lovely! You turned it into a masterpiece

I’m getting ready to move into a new place in a couple months that was built in the 20s. There’s a few projects that need to be done, it’s livable now but I’d rather do the work before I move in. The bathroom especially will be a project because there’s not a lot of air circulation in there (no fan) so the ceiling paint is all peeling, and all the paint on the walls is old and cracked/peeling. Worst of it is, the walls are half tile, which somebody painted over, so before I can repaint I’ll have to strip it. Carefully, because I don’t know how long ago the paint was put up and whether the tile underneath is original or not. :smiling_face_with_tear:

5 Likes

While I am super impressed with everything in this thread, it only reinforces my determination to not be a homeowner for the foreseeable future. I’m doing good just keeping an apartment running with some form of coherency…and I love being able to just call maintenance to replace or fix something.

AC blow out? Call maintenance. Toilet seat need replacing? Call maintenance. Strange dripping noise in the boiler closet? Call maintenance.

(Though I am proud of the time I installed a ceiling fan by myself. Took 6 different screwdrivers and my shoulders hurt for a week, but I did it!)

6 Likes

I see where you’re coming from, but our mortgage is half of what our rent was. We have so much more money.

2 Likes

Yep, I totally see how that could work out; most of our friends/family who are homeowners have mortgages that are less than our rent payment, but pretty much all of them also have horror stories…my friend’s parents have had their AC replaced for $20K, then a water pipe burst and flooded their home while they were out of town. They had to spend a year battling to get their insurance company to reimburse more than $2K for the repairs. My aunt had to have wiring fixed: cost $2500 at a discount. Another had wind pull off a bunch of roof shingles; took a stupid amount of time and money to get those replaced.

Oh, and they all have to mow their own grass. Not having to do that makes me happy. :laughing: And I like having the flexibility of if I got an opportunity somewhere else, I could cut ties and move within a month without worrying about getting a house on the market and offloaded.

Though NGL, the thought of a rambling little farmhouse or Hawaii beach bungalow does have its appeal!

4 Likes

Well, that shuts me up. I was about to talk about the virtues of tax deductible mortgage interest, but my lawn has gone to seed already.

2 Likes

We pay mowers. Still cheaper than our rent was. But we did have to lay out thousands for repairs as I said above, so there’s give and take.

2 Likes

That’s why I live…
chris farley comedy GIF

6 Likes

I hate cutting my small yard mostly because of fighting with my old gas lawn mowers but now I have an electric mower and my only issue with it is trying not to run over the extension cord :open_mouth:

3 Likes

The new place has a fenced back yard. I’m considering goats.

3 Likes

But goats poop.

2 Likes

So do the dogs.

I’ve been attempting to murder all grass since I was about 10. I resent the time and money spent on it. Don’t get me started on leaf blowers.

5 Likes

A stamped concrete patio is a great way to get rid of grass. Did that at my last house.

2 Likes

flame thrower fire GIF

6 Likes