Home Improvement Projects or Other Projects Around Your Place

I have, so far, only run remote diagnostics (all good), and yelling at it from afar. It doesn’t have VOIP, so it can’t hear me.

4 Likes

I wonder if there is an acceptable range before it alerts, or if this is one of those things that alerts the second it isn’t exactly what it is set to be - like alerting if you have it set to 0 degrees and it detects the temp as 1.

3 Likes

It probably uses a bang-bang controller, which would produce quite widely spiky measurements.

3 Likes

Good news, everyone. EBK’s freezer says it is fine once again. It likes drama, apparently. I’m not amused, but it makes ice cubes, which are nice.

(Technically, I still need to wait until the ice is full, then throw it all away, before I can enjoy the officially fresh and clean ice.)

7 Likes

Every single time my fridge tells me something, I will be sure to post it here. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Seriously, I won’t. I promise.)

5 Likes

Just finished installing the Mini-Split Line Cover and it turned out great :+1:

6 Likes

The wife painted it while I was at work with the can of Steel Blue paint that matches the vinyl siding :+1:

5 Likes

The next big project: Upgrading my city electrical service from 100 amps to 200 amp service.
This will require my outside electrical panel and my electric meter to be replaced, along with my above ground service connection mast to be removed and the 200 amp service wire to be run (bored) underground from the street. This will also include the relocation of my transfer switch to my home backup generator.
As of now, this project is scheduled for the beginning of August. First, the city will need to come out to bore the line underground from the street to my panel. Then, the electric company will come out and rewire everything into the new 200 amp panel and connect it up to the new underground 200 amp electrical line.
This is something I’ve needed to do since I built my tiny house next door back in 2011. I have 100 amp service currently on my house, but when I connected power from my panel to the tiny house, I overloaded the panel (math wise) by a good bit (there’s 100 amp service in the tiny house that’s connected to my 100 amp house panel) which could breakers to trip more frequently and worse case, creates a fire hazard on the overloaded house panel so this electrical upgrade has been desperately needed since then.
Total cost: around $6000.00 :scream:

3 Likes

Paid the city for doing the 200 amp line boring from the street to the panel, and the electricians came out to get a strategy going for the electrical upgrade… Discovered the transfer switch for the home backup generator only has a 150 amp breaker installed, which would reduce my service by 50 amps. So that has to be upgraded to a 200 amp transfer switch, which will add to the bill! :confounded:

3 Likes

That’s an odd setup if the transfer switch breaker limits the normal power from the street. Usually the transfer switch only has to accommodate the amount of power the generator can deliver (+20% for saftey margin).

Edit: I guess if the switch itself is only rated for 150 that would limit it, you’ll need a 240 amp switch if you are switching the entire house on and off the grid.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s what they said. Lowe’s had a 200 amp transfer switch in stock for $700 that the owner of the company went and picked up himself.

3 Likes