Horror Tropes

Me: Oh, this thread isn’t for me, I’m not really that into horror.

Also me: All of the Zombie flicks, Evil Dead, Stranger Things, Over the Garden Wall, Alien, Various psychological horror…

Okay, maybe I just don’t like gratuitous/scatty stuff like Human Centipede. Slapstick gore or bust - I will NEVER tire of Ash being drowned in blood.

I don’t really consider horror within sci-fi to be the same as what people generally consider horror. Alien and The Thing definitely have elements that you could argue make them horror, but they are firmly in the sci-fi camp for me. I don’t think that scary sci-fi is horror. It’s scary sci-fi.

Did you not care for The Haunting of Bly Manor? Granted, it’s not a straight (or period) adaptation.

1 Like

I have not seen that one, but I want a straight adaptation.

What is the strangest monster concept you’ve seen in a horror film? My go-to pick is Isolation, in which the monsters are essentially inside-out cows.

1 Like

Does this count?

2 Likes

I mean, it sounds like you like most but dislike puerile audacity. I can very much get behind that. And it’s ggnerally consider the Centipede movies aren’t good save for the mad scientists actor in the first movie swinging for the fences.

That’s Dieter Laser, an intensely strange actor whom one suspects was like that in real life as well. He was magnificent as the arch-villain Mantrid in the series Lexx.

Wait. There’s still a Wings Hauser… vehicle which Rifftrax hasn’t got hold of yet? :open_mouth:

(P.S. - @Johnny_Unusual , you should really have waited just one more day to revive the thread. :wink: )

1 Like

I really hated how that one trope was done for the sake of it at the end of Leviathan. They just had to let token black guy Ernie Hudson die at the end, didn’t they?

1 Like