Hotels

Spending a night or a week. Room Service, Cable TV, Swimming Pool. Bring your family or just yourself. Fine Dining, Gym, Elevators. A fixture of vacations and more expensive than ever. Chains, One in Particular. Is there somewhere you always stop? A perfect home away from home? The beds, the rooms, the service. Do you stay in or go out? Sleep or party?

3 Likes

Some lodges are better than others.

I select a hotel based exclusively on bathtub size.

I just got back from a trip to Portland where the bathtub was a cube that I believe to be about 1.5 meters in each dimension.

I was able to float without touching the sides.

It took an hour to fill.

The water was a bit too hot, and over the course of a -very- long bath, never cooled detectably.

When I tried to drain it at 2am, I had to stop, because it made a thunderous, resonant, vibratory sound that would have disturbed the neighbors, and we had been made to sign a special form at the front desk swearing not to raise a ruckus.

It will be tough to beat.

3 Likes

Tom Bodett Motel 6 Ads. Nostalgia in 30 seconds. I heard him often as a child.

Seconded.

3 Likes

My cheat/illegitimate answer? My favorite hotels float. I love going on cruises. The booze! The buffet! The occasional norovirus!

1 Like

We stayed at The Atomic Motel in Astoria in 2018. Fab 50’s look in the rooms.

3 Likes
1 Like

I’m pretty picky about hotels – not that I need a lot of luxury, but I do need:

– QUIET
– dark
– reasonably clean
– nothing obviously completed f----d up like the time the shower doors were installed wrong so it was impossible to turn the water on without standing under the showerhead

An amazingly small number of hotels meet all four of those criteria.

The hotel I stayed at for the eclipse though, no complaints whatsoever, and that’s with a completely full building. If you’re ever near Dallas I heartily recommend leaving the Dallas/Rockwall Lakefront Hilton. The breakfast buffet is not included in the price, but it’s really good.

The worst hotel I’ve ever stayed at was the Sands Motel in Socorro, New Mexico. Here’s what I wrote about it at the time:

“You know how when you built a shower, you carefully cut holes in the tile for the shower knobs, run the pipes through the holes, then carefully seal around them with silicon before putting the knobs on the pipes? Not at the Sands. At the Sands, you just smash a hole in the tile with a ball-peen hammer and stick the whole shower knob through it. At the Sands, the window over the shower is boarded up, but has a moldy brown curtain anyway. The curtain hangs from a length of yellow electrical wire. The floor mat is made of non-absorbant paper. The mattress firmness is Flinstonesque. The “pillows” are just smaller, harder mattresses. And your evening entertainment is thoughtfully provided by the local inbred delinquents drag-racing just outside.”

I have pictures.

4 Likes

In the areas I travel for autocross, the Hilton Home2 hotels are priced just about the same as the nearby Hampton Inns…

So, for ~$10/day more, I get access to two BBQ Grills outside, a full-size refrigerator/freezer, a full-size sink, 4 place settings of dishes, bowels, glasses and silverware… and a dishwasher. Some rooms even have an extra chair or two.

Comes in handy when I make dinner Saturday nights for my SCCA friends.

If it’s just me, and I’m fine w/ microwaving or eating takeout/delivery, Hampton Inns are pretty good too.

2 Likes

Ok, that beats the used condoms found in the bed at the “Choice” hotel I stayed at for a NASCAR race in Atlanta several years ago…

4 Likes

Wow!!! Really?

1 Like

"Dear Tripadvisor… Too much snow. Did not appreciate Avalanche. Service staff all dead. Cannot recommend. "

5 Likes

All joking aside, that’s awful. Those pictures say it all.

3 Likes

And that window’s boarded up from the outside. And it had a (nasty) screen on it. Boards, screen, glass, curtain with for some reason lace on it. They put more effort into that window than the whole rest of the room.

What’s that? You want more pictures of that bathroom?!

Tragically, it appears this motel no longer exists :sob:

4 Likes

The Bates Motel looks safer.

5 Likes

Yup

2 Likes

Best Nerd Hotel prize has GOT to go to the Sylvia Beach Hotel in Newport, Oregon.

Haven’t stayed there in awhile since I now live here, but I used to stay quite frequently when I lived in Eugene.

4 Likes

Oh I definitely want to stay in the Oscar Wilde room. Based purely on personality, not on writing :smiley:

2 Likes

The Jules Verne room looks cool…

2 Likes