How about a word FOR our sponsors?

Watching the new episodes and Vault Picks these past few months, I find I’m growing curious – has anybody sampled the wares of our founding Madvertisement sponsors (Onyx Path Publishing, Bear Manor Media, and/or Joey Drew Studios) and feel like talking about them?

Those folks ponied up some serious pazuzu to get their names in front of us, and it’d be nice to hear whether it’s paying off, and also if there’s a particularly cool offering that a happy customer would like to endorse to us, your internet friends and neighbors.

Whatcha got?

10 Likes

I have not yet partaken of their wares, but I may look at Bear Manor when I start doing some holiday shopping.

The only TRPG I ever played was Toon, and that wasn’t very successful because I only had one friend at the time. So mostly we entertained ourselves just making characters. I always wanted to be the were-penguin. So I haven’t looked at Onyx Path. And Joey Drew just confuses me, I’m old and don’t know what Bendy is. Is it a cartoon?

7 Likes

Bendy’s from a video game, where the idea is that an old cartoon studio has gone absolutely pear-shaped.

I’m interested in playing the Onyx Path games though. Especially the spy movie one that’s coming out, that seems like fun.

6 Likes

I have not, at least not yet. But I do find it interesting that the madvertisiments have become as quotable as the riffs.

When it’s free it’s called swaaaggg.

I want to be the dolomite

11 Likes

I fully intend to get Bendy for Switch. Just waiting for the right financial opportunity. I’ve had a couple occasions to get it used, but I want as much of that money as possible to go to Joey Drew, since they helped make MST3K Season 13 happen.

5 Likes

I’m legit thinking about They Came From Beneath The Sea as a Christmas present for my brother as he and his friends are into these kinds of games. Any impressions of that would be welcome.

7 Likes

Toon was great. I wish I could get a group together to play it. Even if it was just over Discord. But I don’t have the books anymore.

I’d play They Came from Beneath the Sea too.

5 Likes

I like reading RPG books, despite having no one to play with (can’t deal with internet randos), so I picked up They Came From Beneath the Sea (and the followup 70s Hammer-themed They Came from Beyond the Grave). Onyx Path also does World of Darkness stuff, which I always found “mature and edgy” in that cringingly lame 90s way (and some of the Vampire fanbase is… deeply unsavory), but these were both good and had a sense of fun. You could easily play a super serious game or something closer to Toon with them.

5 Likes

I was not a huge fan of WoD in general, but I liked Mage. The whole idea of a cabal of scientists working to destroy magic was fun.

3 Likes

there’s also this seasonally appropriate supplement.

6 Likes

Wait, they’re making a game? From the Madvertisements, I genuinely didn’t think they had anything coming down the pipeline at the moment.

1 Like

I don’t do games, video, or role-playing, but books, real books I can hold in my hand?

I did buy Jackey Neyman Jones’s Manos memoir, which is published by Bear Manor (and I highly recommend it). A 1000 Women in Horror sounds interesting (but $44 for a paperback has held me back), as does Always The Bride (Elsa Lanchester’s the best), I Want It Now, Honey West, and bios on Lee Van Cleef, Ida Lupino, Max Linder and Sydney Greenstreet.

Oh, and their Abbott and Costello books… and the Resnais book, and…

6 Likes

I mentioned the Forties C-Movie Nine Girls in another thread. There’s a hairdo on display in that one which has some kind of lift effect on the left and right sides so it’s almost (but not quite) forming twin crests, or cat ears. And now I just keep thinking of it as “The Bendy.” I can’t help myself. :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

The thread has inspired me! I went ahead and ordered a couple from Bear Manor

I own the DVD set, so this should go nicely with that.

One of my favorite movies from one of my favorite directors

4 Likes

I haven’t bought anything from Onyx Path itself, but I have a few old Scarred Lands products that came out before they owned it.

2 Likes

I started watching Critical Role during the pandemic and it made me want to start playing RPGs again for the first time in a couple decades, though not necessarily D&D. Then the new MST episodes started and the Onyx Path ads gave me the solution. I’ll be running my first They Came from Beneath the Sea! story next Sunday, 9/25. It’s one of their one-shot adventures, Party Beach Creature Feature, and it looks to be a hoot. The basic idea of every story is that the characters are in a science fiction film – but of course they don’t know that. There are also mechanics that let the players assume the roles of the movie’s writers and editors, so that they can change the story in fun and continuity-straining ways. Meta, man. I’m really looking forward to it.

6 Likes

Oh wow, that sounds quite fun. Tell us how it goes!

2 Likes

Bendy is a very fun video game.

2 Likes

It was great! We didn’t get into the adventure itself, but I ran the players through the pre-generated character sheets, gave them a brief introduction to the rules (which of course make little sense until you’re actually playing), and we went through a practice scene I made up. We start the official adventure at the end of October. This may not be the ideal first RPG for someone to run, because of its meta-gaming aspects, but it’s definitely a fun one. Give it a shot!

3 Likes

Meta-gaming? I’m curious, what do you mean by that?

1 Like