How are people on the west coast watching the soft launch?

The live events start at 5 pm on the west coast. Most people are just getting off work or maybe even driving home. Even though I live in the mountain time zone, I don’t get home until 530, then still have to cook dinner and get things done before I can relax and watch the show. Would it work better for everyone if the live events started an hour later?

3 Likes

Starting an hour later would be 9 PM Eastern time, thus going until Midnight.

This show has a global appeal, there’s never going to be a time that works great for every time zone.

6 Likes

I just log in at 5, as I’m working from home now and soon to be ah under-employed (anyone looking for a fx/illustrator/concept/texture artist? :wink: )

1 Like

I get off work at 4:30, so I run home, grab some leftovers and eat in front of the TV.

I used to order a pizza until I moved out in the boonies where there’s no delivery of any kind.

3 Likes

I for one am willing to stay up a little later so the people downstream can see the show at a reasonable hour. The real question is whether people in Eastern Time can handle it. At least it isn’t a school night!

5 Likes

East Coaster here. I think the time is perfect as Friday night is one of the primest times of them all, and this is especially true when it comes to consuming TV shows such as MST3K!

2 Likes

Fortunately for me, I don’t work most Fridays.

4 Likes

I’m also usually not working when the show starts.

3 Likes

Yeah, I have the good fortune for that to be well after I get off work (Pacific).

Or, you know, just watch it later in replay? Is it essential to actually be there live, when that isn’t the only option to see it at all?

2 Likes

I stayed up til 4am to watch the first one, but I’m not doing that again.

5 Likes

My understanding is that people who didn’t see 1301 live got way less White Dot than the rest of us.

6 Likes

If you want to be part of the conversation, yes.

2 Likes

I’m on ET. Most of my friends are PT. They’re often not home by 5pm. I’m in the position of not wanting to miss the forum/live-chat, of missing out on the communal experience, and mostly not getting to watch it live with the people I actually know and would like to share the experience with. But, Joel and much of the staff are ET, too, and starting later means them having to stay up later, so I get that.

Annnd if there are tech issues, things just get later and later…

4 Likes

Somebody somewhere has something going on, they can’t please everyone. That’s just the way life is, I accept that and watch when I can watch.

4 Likes

Thanks for the info on white dot, I missed the reference because I’ve not been able to watch the live streams and end up watching Saturday mornings like old-time Comedy Channel days. So I was definitely missing out on the joke.

3 Likes

I’ve been lucky enough to work from home for the last 20 years, on my own schedule, so it’s fine. As a 30-year west coaster I’m used to early starts, and I’m glad football games don’t end at 11pm, so all in all I think the start time is a decent compromise for east/west coast.

I’m glad I’m not one of the folks tuning in from Europe!

3 Likes

I was resigned to see the post-game show with Joel and Friends, but apparently they figured out how to have it ready to go as soon as the live broadcast is over. So, it’s possible to see it at around 7:30 Pacific for the movies and maybe six p-m for the shorts.

3 Likes

I took off work an hour early for Santo, missed Manos entirely, and just happened to be home incredibly ill for Robot Wars, but basically yeah… The 5PM start time means I’m guaranteed to miss every single live premiere event because even if traffic is light, it still takes me an average of 30 minutes to get home from work.

If they would just bump the start time up half an hour to 7:30PM EST / 5:30PM PST that would at least mean that with a few minutes of introductions, I’d be in the door before the movie itself started.

Of course, the Mads and Master Pancake do the exact same thing for their livestreams, and up until recently, I’ve been lucky that my telework day used to be Tuesdays, but now that I’ve switched over to Mondays and Wednesdays, I’m kinda screwed when it comes to catching those too.

2 Likes

I’m lucky enough to be able to work from home a couple days a week, so I’m trying to make sure those coincide with the live shows. My sister however, hasn’t been able to catch a single one because of work/family. She works from home, but often has to work late and also has to make dinner for hubby and kiddo. I’m sure one of these times I won’t be able to make it and that’s just how life goes. Like someone else said, no matter what time you put it at, it will be inconvenient for one group or another. I think they did the best they could with the schedule.

3 Likes

Fortunately, I have Fridays off. But I also have a regular engagement on the first Friday of the month, so I have to leave about an hour in.

3 Likes