How Big is the Mystery Science Theater?

How big is the Mystery Science Theater? How many poor souls does it seat? Did it change from the Joel and Mike era to Jonah’s since we see more seats? What do we know about it since we never see it with the lights on?

It’s big enough to experience leakages of the intended inflicted pain, apparently. Maybe Eggs should come back to run a bead of caulk around the edge of the newer iteration, just to be safe.

2 Likes

Big enough to have an air grate over there.

2 Likes

It was larger in the KTMA season than later ones.
K16
Got smaller for cable.
Then big again for netflix.

6 Likes

It’s big enough for a giant Tom Servo to fit comfortably inside.

4 Likes

How many rows of seats? Just the one?

1 Like

Part of the torture is that they have to sit in the front row, because there’s only a front row

4 Likes

Cinematic Titanic only had two chairs, but a much bigger theater.
external-content.duckduckgo.com

5 Likes

James Cameron “seating.”

There’s also the Theater in The Movie.

3 Likes

Which was always my favorite… The benefits of a bigger budget. And that aspect ratio RULED!

1 Like

Yeah, but only doing widescreen movies means avoiding some real gems that were 4:3. Most of the 1960s and before experiments wouldn’t have happened.

1 Like

Standing Room only? I haven’t watched Cinematic Titanic. Do they stand the whole time?

Absolutely. The elephant in the room was Universal insisted on a color movie and that limited the options.

1 Like

It wasn’t a bad choice because, while it’s not really a bad movie (when not edited down to less than the length of a regular episode’s movie), it’s definitely a weird movie. And it is definitely a product of its time, which lets them make fun of the dated stuff.

2 Likes

Yea, hang some curtains on the sides so we can get a good '70s made for TV movie with more B level stars than episode of Love Boat, or a old B&W sci-fi movie.

3 Likes

The 50s futurism and comments on a perfect society lent itself to riffing. It goes to show time is its own secret ingredient. What is trendy now may be silhouetted 40 years from now. You NEVER know.

1 Like

You know what, I am fine with widescreen too, but I happen to like 4:3 as an aspect ratio. It’s a perfectly good aspect ratio. I think it would be okay if we still shot things in 4:3 sometimes. Sitcoms look ridiculous in widescreen.

1 Like

They still do, occasionally. See Zack Snyder’s Justice League — 1.33 : 1 aspect ratio. These days it generally requires a director with a lot of clout in the industry (or a specific project, in this case) to do it, though.

2 Likes

1.33:1 is what virtually every Hollywood production shot in till the early 50s. I’m entirely fine watching older films in that ratio and wish Joel would dabble more in older experiments now. That generational gap is ideal to skewer and aesthetics can’t always trump potential. It’s a teeter totter of what’s appealing on the outside and what’s behind the skin. I’m stoked The Mask (1961) made it to Season 13. I wonder if we’ll ever see pre-widescreen movies on MST again. Owing to Joel’s modernizing and the new writers tastes I think it unlikely.

1 Like