How Did This Get Made and other bad movie resources

Hi All- not sure if this would be better under “Off Topic”, but what “sources” do you all use to find bad movies? “How Did This Get Made” has introduced me to so many great options, but is there any other go-to source you use to find something ridiculous to watch?

4 Likes

The Flop House, featuring Elliot Kalan (who is a writer for MST3K, I believe?) and a couple other guys, is really funny as well. Joel and Jonah have been guests.

4 Likes

If I get your drift, then Troma NOW! probably fits the bill of your jib.

2 Likes

Elliot was head writer for S11 and 12, and he contributed to 13. The Flop House is really fun, and it’s the only podcast that I keep current on.

1 Like

The Psychotronic Encyclopedia of Film and its follow-up The Psychotronic Video Guide. The former was virtually the only pre-MST3K resource with mostly accurate information on Manos. The latter volume made me aware of the existence of Kekko Kamen. Do NOT Google Image Search that term unless you’re on an unshared device in an environment where you’re certain no one will be shoulder surfing.

2 Likes

Thank you for the suggestions! I’ll check these all out. I like my bad movies, but I want to make sure they’re still worth my time and not just….bad.

As for Kekko Kamen….I work with kids, so I’m assuming it’s cool to pull that up right now?

1 Like

Books by Ian Watson, Duane Bradley and Timon Singh give me pointers.
Browsing Tubi and cross-referencing likely titles/artwork with IMDB.
Using IMDB to follow the career of a cast member, writer or director from an existing favourite film.

2 Likes

Only if you want the parents to go medieval on your heinder. :roll_eyes:

It helps to have been alive in the pre-cable times when every bad movie would ultimately end up on a late-night local indie channel. (Except Manos. I think Frank essentially saved that one from eternal obscurity.)

Oh, yeah, those are fun reads. (If like me, you read reference books cover-to-cover.) I would add The Science Fictionary, which has a lot of obscure films in it.

In modern times, Tubi and Prime are good resources for the very worst in guys-with-a-camcorder cinema. There are some Roku channels that have nothing but bad/weird stuff. This all can be a bit overwhelming.

Red Letter Media’s series “Best of the Worst” can give you a kind of curated view of a hundred or two bad movies (and a fair number of non-movies as well). This can give you a sense of what you might actually want to spend time on. And that’s just one of an apparently infinite number of YouTube channels that do this.

Len Kabasinski has for years done a series called “The Forgotten Movie Den”, and this year teamed up with Joe Esposito (from “Ozone Nightmare”) to watch a bunch of random Tubi movies. So far, out of sixteen, they’ve found two that were genuinely good-bad, and I think that’s probably a higher ratio than you’ll get from watching stuff at random.

These two are highly recommended! Also Brandon Tenold’s YouTube reviews.

2 Likes