How did you discover MST3K?

The TV was pretty much always on growing up (this is not necessarily a good thing) and if I was in charge, I’d leave it on Comedy Central. I definitely came across it some Saturday or Sunday morning or afternoon. The first MSTK3K thing I clearly remember was the Mads doing “DEEP HURTING!”, which would be episode 410, “Hercules Against the Moon Men” from 1992. Flipping through the Amazing Colossal Episode Guide, I remember some S3 episodes too, so I might be remembering the episode where it really clicked more than when I actually discovered it.

7 Likes

In 1991 I stumbled across Time For The Apes on Comedy Central one Saturday, and I was hooked!

I’ve been thrilled with every iteration of the Satellite of Love since then, but I always will have a soft spot for the version of Joel & The Bots I started with. I was a little sad when Joel escaped in the Deus ex Machina. But that also makes Joel Robinson’s return in season 13 an extra sweet treat for me!

It’s just a show… I should really just relax.

7 Likes

A commercial on The Comedy Channel during season 1. I was immediately fascinated. As a kid who loved monster movies and B movies thanks to my father, the show clicked with me immediately.

6 Likes

I see a common thread here: lots of folks discovered B movies thanks to their dad. It’s heartening to realize there are so many good dads out there.

5 Likes

I was (WAS!) a young Comedy Channel watcher (Benny Hill, Young Ones, Kids in the Hall, old SNL, etc) but one of the first NEW shows on the channel I started watching was MST3K. I was too young to get a lot of the jokes but luckily I got enough AND I liked movies in general, bad and good. Been a fan ever since.

11 Likes

I remember Comedy Central of the 1990s. I loved watching MST3K, Benny Hill and heavily censored movies like Gimme An F. My brother used to be into Kids in the Hall.

4 Likes

During its run on the SciFi Channel, mid to late 90s.

3 Likes

Home alone, college break, sick as a dog (flu), in and out of consciousness on couch for nearly a week. Gamera. Jumping back and forth between MST3K and Red Dwarf, which was new to me at that same time. So… just over 30 years ago?

4 Likes

I found MST3k in 1991, as soon as my parents got us cable for the first time. I was a really introverted kid through my high school years (1992-1996), so I basically lived in front of Comedy Central.

I know it’s not possible, but if they would to ever create a “Comedy Central Classic” channel that features programming from that era (MST3k, Kids in the Hall, Higgins Boys & Gruber, Whose Line Is It Anyway?, Monty Python, Phil Hartman-era SNL reruns, etc…), I think I’d have to get cable again. Those years were something special!

7 Likes

I first saw the movie at a friend’s house when I was in high school. I had no idea there was a whole series until I was in university and met a fan. I did an English degree so she was very eager to show me Hamlet. I also watched Merlin’s Shop of Mystical Wonders that night. Still, I didn’t really seek it out on my own until I saw, of all things, The Adventures of Edward the Less online. Whatever it was about that series it got me eager to see more stuff by them. And here I am, some 20-ish years later!

9 Likes

My sister’s husband showed me Space Mutiny and the rest is history…

6 Likes

As posted in that other thread:

(And there’s still more cheese food remaining. :wink: )

4 Likes

Senior in high school (in the thousands); my friends who had already graduated were obsessed with this movie called “Agent for H.A.R.M.”

As a kid from a theater family, the witty buffoonery, stage dressing, and delivery were impressive… but really it was just the line, “HE MAINTAINS AN APPLIANCE BAH DUH BA DAHHHHH”

5 Likes

My dad was a state trooper so we moved around a lot. Then my parents divorced and my mom as a struggling single mother of three moved us around a lot.
Then they tried getting back together which did not last a year requiring us to move about some more.

I include this info because in retrospect I’m gobsmacked that i discovered MST3k at the age of 13 - I remember it as much younger but having been to 9 schools by 7th grade does funny things to a developing mind.

I remember moving back to Alaska as my parents tried their ill-fated reconciliation. For whatever reason my little brothers room had been prepared but mine was not yet ready.

So I was given the hide-a-bed in the half-hearted Rec room downstairs complete with second tv and cable.

In between looking for cartoons and sneaking peeks at scrambled adult films (was that a parrot?) I caught the Amazing Colossal Man on Comedy Central(could’ve been the comedy channel I just don’t remember) and it hit me like a ton of bricks. The superimposed image
The jokes
Crow’s silhouette…

It was like nothing I’d seen before and it was everything I wanted in a program

11 Likes

I discovered it through a friend of mine I went to middle and high school with; I made a much more comprehensive and heartfelt post on it here, but the shorter version of it was that another nerdy kid introduced it to me shortly before the series was cancelled and I loved it. If it weren’t for her, I wouldn’t be here right now.

8 Likes

Whereas as I discovered them in spite of my dad. He was much more about letting us stay up late to watch musicals like Bandwagon and Brigadoon. (He had done some vocal training when young but opted not to pursue that career.) Still, he probably made me appreciate all those musical numbers on the show: without knowing it.

7 Likes

I credit Allison Pregler for streaming it I believe on Justin.tv, Andrew Dickman who was streaming it while crafting the Longbox of the Damned opening, and most of all, Lewis Lovhaug for the various soundbites he’s used for Atop the Fourth Wall punchlines. My first Rifftrax Live was The Room in May 2015, which was just months before the first MST3K revival Kickstarter. So yeah it’s a bunch.

5 Likes

I discovered MST3K as an awkward, introverted 11 y/o in the early 90s. One night while I was flipping through channels, I landed on Comedy Central. I was intrigued by the silhouettes.

9 Likes

I’m kind of ashamed to say it wasn’t until the 2nd Netflix season! I’d seen the odd image or advert before but I’d never seen an episode and I had no idea what it was about.

I’ve made up for it now though, we watched so many in our house that we were sometimes watching 2 a night for several weeks. I’m invested.

13 Likes

I knew of the show for ages but never managed to find it on in the uk and my only experience was catching the movie which I sort of liked. Then Netflix showed the new season and some old ones and that was me. Now I pretty much watch an episode a night and the child in me always finds yeeeeeessssssss funny whenever it’s done.

9 Likes