How is everyone connecting up to THE GIZMOPLEX?

Hey, loved the season 13 premier after technical details were fixed. I had technical issues of my own, as I tried to chromecast from my laptop to TV but unfortunately even with a good internet connection and wireless setup had audio/video choppiness.

I was wondering what other people are using to watch MST3K? I’m a home theater nerd, so don’t typically have a dedicated computer hooked up to my TV or projector setup.

I am missing the convenience of Netflix, YouTube, etc streaming apps that are already built-in.

2 Likes

Roku here

4 Likes

Roku here, too. The MST3K app also carries the live streams.

2 Likes

What type of Chromecast are you using? An older one or the newer “With Google TV” variety? We have the Google TV version and all we needed to do was download the MST3K app. The app shows up on the home screen, click, and Bob’s yer uncle.

If you’re using the older Chromecast and trying to cast from your phone or a laptop, there will be lag (we figured this out when trying to cast Grand Tour episodes before upgrading the dongle.)

5 Likes

Roku, though once the GizmoPlex is up and operational I’ll probably watch the premieres on my laptop.

3 Likes

I’m mostly limited to just the phone for anything internet-related, so I probably won’t be able to do a lot of the interactive stuff, but as long as I get to watch, I’m happy

2 Likes

Firefox browser currently.

2 Likes

2011 MacBook Pro laptop + old reliable Firefox. Though I try not to think about how long it will be before they don’t support this old-timer anymore. o_0

I saw and heard some hiccups like everyone else, but overall it went well.

3 Likes

Watched 1301 live via Android TV through Nvidia Shield. Saw bits of the on-demand version via Roku and Android OS via Pixel 5.

Noticed it is MUCH easier to cast video through the MST3K app than the VHX/Gizmoplex website through Chrome. Usually it’s the other way around, so I credit the app with making it easier.

Also, can I give a big thumbs up to the Continuous Play feature? As someone who usually throws on MST3K Youtube playlists/Pluto TV/DVD’s/Blu-rays before bed, I am extremely grateful.

3 Likes

This is a great tip, just what I was looking for! Thank you much for sharing, I’ll give that a try!

3 Likes

I used the app on the Firestick. If I didn’t have that, I’d download the app to my phone or tablet and mirror it to the TV, but the Firestick is easier to use.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this & for the continuous play tip (sounds right up my alley). I’ll give that a try!

3 Likes

I have a smart tv, and tried airplay from my phone, but it wouldn’t connect properly.
I tried the PS4 browser and it couldn’t handle it, neither could the Samsung smart tv browser.

So I broke down and used my HP laptop and the HDMI cable from my PS4 and hardwired it to the tv, and that worked.

And after the fact, I found out the airplay feature works for me from the gizmoplex website via safari on my phone. But still not the app.

1 Like

I cast from my phone to my tv via chromecast.

2 Likes

Did the premiere through our Roku. Though at the start of the technical difficulties, I also went to the website on my laptop to try to see if it was the stream having issues or the Roku.

Turns out, White Dot needed time to shine.

4 Likes

My current “cable box” is really just an Android box with a built-in app that allows my cable company to send me live TV and a connection to a cloud-storage DVR. Being Android, that means it’s hooked up to the Google Play store, so I was able to download the MST3K/Gizmoplex app directly to the box and watch it that way, on my big TV!

2 Likes

Chrome on desktop, mirrored to the TV via HDMI cable, which is my main setup for watching pretty much everything these days. Worked great once the server-side kinks were straightened out.

I did really really appreciate the QR code so I could put the chat on my phone, though it all scrolled by way too fast for me to see anything other than a couple of mentions of White Dot as our new lord and savior.

3 Likes

SmartTV here that runs on Android. Just grabbed the app and everything worked great.

2 Likes

I watched the first half on my 4k Roku tv, and the second half in the bedroom on a fire tv stick.

3 Likes

Apple TV, iPad, iPhone

3 Likes