How Joel Hodgson Beat Netflix And Saved His Show, 'Mystery Science Theater 3000'

Hey all, as you can probably tell from my username I am a writer. Currently, I have a gig writing celebrity news and listicles, although for the record my goal is to one day write fiction, essays, and poetry for a living. Anyway, I convinced my editors to let me write an article about Joel and the creation of the Gizmoplex. If yall would click, read it, and circulate the URL (i don’t check FB or Twitter anymore) I’d really appreciate it. I want to see if we can make this my first viral article. Side note, if anyone here has the hook up to printers or publishers hmu, I’m also working on my first chapbook and I have some other projects I’d like to get off the ground but I don’t have many connections yet. Thanks fellow MSTIES!!!

33 Likes

Pretty nice!

10 Likes

Best review I could have asked for!

2 Likes

You know he’s legit because he uses insider jargon.

4 Likes

–Super fan home game–

What’s wrong with this sentence from the article:

It next found a home on Comedy Central and later on SyFy.

3 Likes

They made me take a bunch of stuff out to keep in under 1000 words fwiw

2 Likes

:upside_down_face:

1 Like

I would suggest that a comic with multiple Letterman and SNL appearances isn’t “small-time,” but other than that great read!

3 Likes

Perhaps he meant “part time”. Because, we all know that Joel was a stand-up comedian by day, but at night he was… Agent J.

4 Likes

Great article! I love when pieces about cult classic media are written by a fan, not just a writer who did research on the fans

6 Likes

Well, it was the Comedy Channel when they first got on there, wasn’t it? And I know it was Scifi, not that horribly spelled SyFy when they were there. (I always said that they changed the spelling to indicate that they weren’t really showing scifi content anymore. :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

MST has become The Show That Wouldn’t Die. This will be its fifth version!

4 Likes

You got the right answer and the bonus points!

I suspect they went syfy for search engine optimization reasons.

2 Likes

Maybe that, but also, you can’t really trademark Sci-Fi as easily as you can SyFy.

1 Like

Nah, fourth. This is a clear continuation of Jonah’s run. Like the show hopping from Comedy Central to Sci-Fi. KTMA to Comedy Channel is a way more distinct jump

3 Likes

Just a small cx: MST3K was never on cable access. KTMA was a UHF station.

The main difference is with cable access, show creators paid the station to air their content. UHF operated like regular stations, paying people like Joel to make shows. They just didn’t pay very well.

5 Likes

Oh, I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the real reason, but at the time they made the switch, they were showing a lot of pro wrestling on the SciFi channel and so my explanation seemed fitting even if not accurate. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s how TNT turned into Spike and then turned into whatever it is now.

2 Likes

TNN, not TNT

4 Likes

TNN or TNT… it’s all about desire.

3 Likes