How Mystery Science Theater 3000 Changed Television (And Still Is)

I’ve been ludicrously busy IRL and not had time to visit the forums as much as I had in times past.

Despite that, I still found time to write this piece about MST3K, its history and its influence.

Enjoy it, won’t you?

15 Likes

If nothing else, Comedy Central might not still be around if it wasn’t for MST3K carrying the network on its broad red jumpsuited shoulders through the early years.

6 Likes

Ah, the early years of Comedy Central- Night After Night With Alan Havey, Alan King’s Inside the Comedy Mind, Comics Only, not to mention Short Attention Span Theater featuring a guy some of you might have heard of named Jon Stewart.

5 Likes

I liked Comedy Central most from that MST3K time period, when they were doing, y’know, comedy. Oddball things like “Limboland” and (the recently resuscitated?) “Almost Live”.

3 Likes

I don’t think so. My Googling says a sort of successor came and went a few years ago.

3 Likes

Some of the cast started a radio show or podcast recently? I think? Maybe? :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

I hope you’re right because I loved Almost Live. I’ll look later.

3 Likes

A couple MST3K and a couple Kids in the Hall episodes every day, some other stuff … what wasn’t to love?

5 Likes

you forgot hours and hours and hours of standup.

3 Likes

The reruns of My Occasional Wife.

3 Likes

I musta missed those.
Which explains why I didn’t get this joke watching Jungle Goddess recently:

3 Likes

You didn’t see them, but you really didn’t miss anything! D’oh-ho-ho-hoo!

4 Likes

Hey, it’s got a rating of EIGHT (out of 10, even!) on IMDB.

90 people agree: This show is a solid B-!

4 Likes

Awesome article, well said!

2 Likes