How's the Business Side Looking?

Sorry, I can’t hear you over all the

we’re gonna make with this idea.

5 Likes

We could. The problem is that, for every $10 you spend on mst3k stuff through Zazzle, we might see about 50 cents, instead of the $6-8 we might be able to keep when making stuff ourselves. Zazzle makes it possible for us to release a lot more stuff, but that’s a lot better for Zazzle than MST3K, unfortunately!

We’re still trying to find the right balance so that the money you’re all willing and able to spend has as much impact as possible on getting more episodes made. But I know that it feels like a lot of opportunities are being missed, rather than strategically sacrificed as part of a larger plan!

22 Likes

The shirt part is hard, but downloading and printing a pattern to iron on is pretty easy these days.

You just have to remember to print a mirror image of what you want to iron onto the shirt.

4 Likes

It’s really difficult to get an iron-on straight though. I’ve screwed that up more than once. It’s always at a little bit of an angle, even if it’s half of a degree, I notice and it annoys me.

3 Likes

Did @ivan just tell us to ‘trust the plan’?

:grin:

8 Likes

Just embrace it and choose a design that’s already angled. :wink:

Oh, and related to my comment above about Mastodon: for some reason the preview “Browse the Gizmoplex” video won’t play when embedded there. At least, not on the instance (aka: community) I use. YouTube videos usually work fine over there, so maybe it’s a Vimeo thing? I’m not sure if this rates a whole Bug thread. At least the link to the Gizmoplex still works.

3 Likes

Do I sense some bitterness in this post?

2 Likes

If you need any help connecting with getting your manufacturing organized let me know, I have some connections for doing exactly this!

5 Likes

Do the wrestling and cooking happen simultaneously, in some sort of violent cage match cook-off? Because I would watch this religiously.

11 Likes

Not really, I was just trying to come up with a ridiculous change for the Gizmoplex. Wrestling was definitely a reference to Sci Fi/SyFy, but I’m not bitter about that because other than MST3K I never really watched the channel.

5 Likes

As a hippie peacenik who even occasionally cooks something more involved than a frozen burrito, I’d like to announce my boycott campaign against this program right now. Better safe than sorry.

3 Likes

(Quietly begins lotioning up a People’s Elbow for ya @CLANG_Potroast.)

4 Likes

As to the original question, I can see the concern about how well the Gizmoplex is fairing. I like to think that the people in charge have done their research and know what they are doing.

I only have a limited, outsider perspective. Of the people who are members most of those here I imagine were backers so do not contribute to future development. The question is more about how many are willing to put their wallets where their hearts are. I remember when the price was first announced, what few sites I know that were reporting on it talked about how it cost $150 to see the new season. I can certainly see how that could be a bit off putting. But then I remembered that the old TNG seasons came out on DVD, they were $100 apiece. And I asked myself, would I be willing to spend something like that to bring back a show I liked such as Leverage or Legends of Tomorrow? (I leave out MST3k since I already spend hundreds to bring this back. So doy)

So I guess the question is how many are paying for new episodes and events. ‘By the way, I am not really asking. Please do not disclose financial information publicly.’ I know some people who backed, so they are not contributing. I know one or two who buy individual shows when they can. And one other how is waiting for another 3-month trial since they, as they put it, “don’t want to pay with just one month to watch everything.” I wonder if it would be technically possible to offer people a three-month sub starting when they sign up?

Anyway, I hope the Gizmoplex is doing well enough. And at this point, I am babbling. And on a keyboard as well. So I wish everyone well and much good fortune.

8 Likes

There’s also the MST3K Twitch channel, which is how I got reinvigorated about the whole thing all over again…won’t you?

6 Likes

I think we need to do some kind of extreme Iron Chef type competition, with all the crazy Japanese steakhouse knifework going on during a martial arts extravaganza. Maybe get Alton Brown and Jackie Chan as judges.

5 Likes

Santo vs. the falling soufflé.

3 Likes

See? This combo programming would sell like hotcakes, someone tell Conor to call Hollywood back!

5 Likes

France Nuyen played a chef on Columbo AND she’s an MST3K alumni! (Code Name: Diamond Head) Can we convince her to come out of retirement for this? Pleeeease?

5 Likes

She might insist we film it in beautiful downtown Fargo Hawaii.

4 Likes

Nah, Rebecca Hanson can do it. She’s got the range, I’m have faith that Rebecca could play virtually any role and make it HYSTERICALLY funny.

9 Likes