I Accuse My Parents and other episodes I couldn't finish

I Accuse My Parents was so terrible I couldnt actually finish it and Ive tried a couple times over the years. I dont know what it is about that movie but its just awful and makes me feel really awful inside my heart. (insert melodramatic music here)

4 Likes
7 Likes

Don’t watch the movie. Watch the shadow people.

5 Likes

The Shadow People is the name of the gritty MST3K reboot.

6 Likes

I don’t know how someone can hate I Accuse My Parents. It’s not only got top-notch riffing, it’s so incredibly weird that you can’t appreciate bad movies of the Ed Wood and Bill Rebane variety and not be charmed by it.

7 Likes

This movie has my favorite movie riff ever, concerning the dinner bill.

4 Likes

Well, it’s clearly never met a real family, or gangster, or fry cook, or shoe salesman, or…

But I still like it.

5 Likes

Ever try Reefer Madness (1936)?

3 Likes

Tut tut.

These rotten kids today…

Oh, who am I kidding.

I’m about to tap out at thirty-seven minutes into Castle/Fu Manchu, which is longer than I’ve ever made it before.

And I have a half-pot of coffee, chocolate syrup, half a bottle of Slane Irish Whiskey, and a can of ReddiWip at hand…I’m not sure I can do it!

I recommend clemency for the shawnshine. It is only just.

4 Likes

for some reason, i now have a craving for a charbroiled hamburger sandwich with french fried potatoes garnish

7 Likes

I’m going to write an essay about this thread on my birthday.

5 Likes

9 Likes

It’ll make you drive - 35 miles per hour!! OMG! And the cackling Renfield type pianist! Classic. :rofl:

1 Like

The first time I tried to watch “I Accuse My Parents,” I couldn’t finish it either. But it’s since become one of the episodes I love the most.

The only one I’ve never finished was “Bride of the Monster,” which I fell asleep during. I’ll get around to it one day.

3 Likes

It’s a harder experiment to get into. Though not impossible. My second pass watching it expanded my appreciation. Knowing the history of Ed Wood and having seen the Tim Burton film of the same name, comments and editorial by Joel and the Bots improve having familiarity with the backstory. Being sandwiched between The Day the Earth Froze (1959) and Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966) as an episode and the Ed Wood expectation lends this a sense of anti-climax when experiencing it. One it never quite shakes. Repeat viewing helps.

I don’t wanna be a jerk about it, but if you don’t like I Accuse My Parents, what’s the point of even saying you’re a fan of the show? It’s Joel’s favorite episode and IMHO the only perfect episode. Even the letter is screamingly funny.

TRUE STORY: I was once on a transatlantic night flight and I was watching I Accuse My Parents on my iPad and I was laughing so hard a flight attendant ran up cuz she thought I was choking on something.

2 Likes

Preferences vary. That isn’t a crime. We bring ourselves to what we enjoy and what we dislike. I am a life long fan and while I applaud and revere I Accuse My Parents (1944) it isn’t an episode I rewatch. The experiment itself is so preachy and in your face it lacks the kind of charm I’m more accustomed to in other shows. I have to force myself to watch it. Does that make me unworthy? Also IMHO The Brain That Wouldn’t Die (1962), The Beast of Yucca Flats (1961), Eegah (1962), Manos (1966), Red Zone Cuba (1966), The Girl In Gold Boots (1968), Mitchell (1975), Pod People (1983), and Cave Dwellers (1984) are perfect episodes. We each have our own standards and they’re never the same.

I love it, but I could see why someone else might not. It was kind of like a WWII-era After-School Special if you think about it. Better acting and music, though. The performers really do give it their all.

1 Like

The propaganda soul of it is harder to laugh at than harmless junk. The zealotry of Parents (1944) grows tiresome at Feature Length compared to the shorts. I can’t stomach the message of the movie as entertainment I think. Best guess.

Oddly, I’ve always felt that I Accuse My Parents was one of the more effective movies the gang ever riffed. Yes, it’s melodramatic and utterly mawkish, but I think Robert Lowell does a decent job of selling Jimmy’s confusion and pathos. There are a couple scenes where he’s reaching out for help and getting the brush-off from his dad that are honestly kind of poignant.

And of course there’s that great riff when the gun goes off during the struggle in Blake’s office; the cops burst in and Joel bleats on Jimmy’s behalf, “UHHH I ACCUSE MY PARENTS!” It never fails to make me laugh out loud.

3 Likes