I Accuse My Parents and other episodes I couldn't finish

But see, that’s what I like: that our fanbase is such a diverse and varied collective that we don’t have a hivemind about certain episodes, jokes, and characters.

It would be much, much more boring if we all had the same opinion of Manos: The Hands of Fate, for instance. Some folks hold it up as the series’s greatest hour; others can’t stand it, and still others are sprinkled all over in all points in between (personally, I enjoy it, but wouldn’t call it the show’s best offering).

Or to take this in another direction: there’s The Castle of Fu Manchu. It’s the only episode I can’t stand, but there are others in the fanbase who hold it up and consider it to be brilliant. And you know what? I love that.

Differences of opinion like that add something really fun to a fanbase and the discussions that such a fanbase would give rise to.

If someone doesn’t like I Accuse My Parents, I may not necessarily agree with their view of that episode, but their opinion is very much valid and I wouldn’t think it to be a disqualifying argument against a MSTie being a fan of the show. I don’t really believe that there is a disqualifying argument like that. Some people don’t like Space Mutiny, The Final Sacrifice, Cry Wilderness, or Eegah, but I wouldn’t think any of that to be something that takes away from a person’s legitimacy or cred as a fan.

To go bottom line here, I think that if a person enjoys something that the series puts out there, then they’re a fan, plain and simple.

The way I see it, it takes diff’rent strokes to move the world, or in this case, a fanbase. And I think that’s fantastic. That’s what keeps all these discussions so involving and interesting!

6 Likes

Well, I guess I’m not a fan. I don’t care for it much. I’ve watched it, more than once, but I haven’t rewatched it in a while because it just doesn’t click for me. Every episode has some great riffs, but some, overall, aren’t my favorite.

I would put most other season 5 episodes ahead of I Accuse my Parents.

1 Like

Well, to clarify, the movie itself is straw. Really gross dirty old stanky straw. But the riffs and the ongoing mini-drama with the Mads almost winning everything until Frank can’t help but run his mouth… THAT’S comedy gold. :trophy:

2 Likes

“Son, it’s been a month.”
“You haven’t touched your burger.”

Bad cinema is no less idiosyncratic than good cinema. (Pace Tolstoy, it’s not that every good movie OR every bad movie is alike, it’s the mediocre ones that blur into mush.)

I think I underestimated IAMP until a few years ago. I had no idea it was such a big deal in the fandom, and it was actually another fan who got me re-watching and loving it.

But it’s also the oldest film they’ve ever done, black and white with not great (though far from the worst) audio, the music was square even back in 1944, and it may have actually been middle of the pack amongst the TWELVE movies Sam Newfield directed that year.

Pax vobiscum.

5 Likes

The Mad Monster is two years older than I Accuse…

3 Likes

I’m not gonna lie, I have trouble with the theater segments, but the host segments are GREAT.

In responding to you, I realize that that’s one problem I have with the episode: that the weeping and lamenting in the host segments kinda makes the weeping and lamenting in the theater segments redundant.

But the host segments are a HOOT. Frank blowing it all at the end is SUCH a quintessential Frank moment!

3 Likes

I stand corrected. Well, sit, I’ve stood enough today.

I tend to overlook season 1, I confess. :scream:

(Mad Monster is also a Sam Newfield joint.)

4 Likes

And if you include shorts, The Undersea Kingdom is older as well.

4 Likes

OF COURSE WE DON’T COUNT SHORTS!

2 Likes

The oldest material in the show’s history, unless I’m misremembering.

4 Likes

[falls out of chair backwards]

6 Likes

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - Fatal Heart Attack on Make a GIF

9 Likes

I was thinking that if they were cool cukes in the theater, the host segments would be kinda’ jarring in comparison. :person_shrugging:

4 Likes

True enough.

It’s a tricky bit of tonal tightrope walking. Not enough angst, and there’s some jarring emotional discontinuity. Too much angst, and it all becomes a bit monotonous.

4 Likes