I am a TERRIBLE fan

What are you talking about? This sounds like being an awesome fan!

5 Likes

Such great flicks! I’m gonna have to go find that somewhere on the internet now.

5 Likes

Not at all! I think this is an amazing opportunity to be a part of the show and fanbase.

You made a decision to stop by these forums, which means you are engaging with the show a lot more than many others! And you’ll have very little - if zero - judgment here, especially from me. This is a great place to be, and I feel as if our members are the sort to treat a fellow MSTie respectfully, no matter their knowledge of the show.

The way I see it, there will always be more to learn, especially with a show as vast as MST3K. It can get intimidating! Like I said, I was there one time as well, so I absolutely empathize. You’re in good company here, so no worries from me whatsoever.

Enjoy the show at your own pace, and we’ll be here to talk about things when you’re able!

6 Likes

You’re in good company

6 Likes

You are a lucky fan! It probably didn’t seem that way the first thirty years, but believe me when I tell you that many, many of us are just boiling with jealously that you get to see so many episodes FOR THE FIRST TIME. Paradise!

9 Likes

Hold my DeNiro/Snipes and Biehn/Bacall movie.

4 Likes

This is one of the few fandoms where it’s actually kind of rare to find a fan who’s seen it all. (Like- almost nobody has seen it all unless they happened to be tuned into KTMA when episode 3 aired.)

9 Likes

I gave it my best go, right up to watching what available material I could from K03 and just watching 318 again in its place.

4 Likes

I’ve probably seen like 70-80% at best. I’m actually going to use the Gizmoplex to finally get around to seeing Season 1 in its entirety, which will fill in a few of those holes.

8 Likes

You’re in for a treat here!

The riffs come at a slower pace than later seasons, but what’s there is choice. J. Elvis Weinstein makes for a fun Servo and Dr. Erhardt.

It’s like when you have master filmmakers like Ingmar Bergman and Akira Kurosawa, and you can say that the least of their works is merely very good compared to the rest of the outstanding movies in their filmographies.

7 Likes

Not only that, but the chance to interact with many of the people behind the show is surreal to me. We didn’t have that type of transparency beforehand.

That, to me, is how special these forums (and social media) are. Seeing Tim, Conor and Devon (and Grant, I think) in the live thread last night, for instance, is an absolute privilege. This may be the best time to be a fan*.

asterisk only because I came into the fandom very late myself, around when Cinematic Titanic was just getting going and The Film Crew was turning into Rifftrax…not to mention those animated shorts :scream:

9 Likes

No, this is certainly the best time to be a fan. All you missed from before are Joel vs. Mike flame wars and cancellation bitterness.

10 Likes

When I think of Servo, I hear Weinstein’s voice. Arguably that’s because I’m old, but also he was reeeaaaalllllly good in the role.

8 Likes

Everyone at least needs to see his last episode: The Black Scorpion. He pulls out all stops (Julia Child, Lowell Thomas, The Cajun Chef…) and it’s a hoot.

9 Likes

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS :smiley:

He inhabited the role from the get-go and really BECAME Servo.

Case in point, the blender sketch from The Mad Monster. Weinstein does a lot to define the character there through some foundational work and sets a template for future acts to follow.

6 Likes

“Nobody drinks from my gal!”

8 Likes

All in the face of a semi-respectable and actually pretty fun monster movie!

6 Likes

Scorpion and Hollow Mountain Beast are still together on the convention circuit to this day!

5 Likes

Not really related, but this made me think of a great moment in one of the Cinematic Titanic episodes. I forget which movie, but one of the characters with a high, screechy voice is taunting another character and saying “ha, ha, ha, ha, ha - you’re through here!” and Josh says “This is just like my last day at MST.”

6 Likes

And yet, it’s much more feasible to try and watch everything available because there’s none of those burdensome multiverses and to deal with. (Well, Last of the Wild Horses is our entire multiverse so far. Very manageable.)

8 Likes