I finally watched Experiment 222 and does anyone agree with me?

Perhaps they shouldn’t call it a family show. Many of the movies selected have very adult themes and are heavily edited, so much that a lot gets lost in translation. Avalanche’s plot confused me until I read all the parts they cut to make it family friendly. Maybe parents should wait until middle/high school to introduce kids to the show.

2 Likes
1 Like

Personally, I’m glad that they tone down the swearing in the show. I’ve never understood the appeal of excessive profanity and in fact, I really don’t enjoy hearing it. This means that I don’t partake of much comedy at all because so many comedians seem to swear every other word and that, to me, isn’t funny or entertaining. MST3K is one of the few comedy shows I can genuinely enjoy.

It was the fact that it was somewhat billed as a kid show (which, given the movies they chose, even back in the early days, I would question) that got me wanting to watch simply because I’m aware of what most comedy entails.

And no, I wouldn’t characterize my feeling as pearl clutching. I’m not asking anyone else to follow along. If MST changed their m.o. and went to a more “adult” version, I’d probably just stop watching the new stuff and enjoy the old ones. RT gets a little raunchy sometimes and I just avoid those that are rated higher than I want (I’ve mentioned this before, but I like that RT does ratings.).

3 Likes

If any specific incident set me on the road to being “moviegique” it is that, in my 17th year, a revival theater opened directly across from my high school (which was in walking distance). A ticket was $2.50.

The first week was devoted to showings of Gone With The Wind. I was there the first night and it sold out. It was my first time seeing it, as well as a lot of other classics, because I didn’t want to watch them with commercials (never mind the cuts and re-formatting). About five years ago I took my kids to see it and they loved it as much as I did.

Nothing leapt out at me in Doctor MordridSide Hackers is probably my bottom-of-the-barrel. But I don’t perceive sensitivity as pearl clutching, and I don’t think Joel does either, for that matter. He wants it to be something families can watch without parents having to explain a lot of stuff.

I mean, Rifftrax is right there and their riff of Rock ‘n’ Roll Nightmare, e.g. is pretty funny. The Gizmoplex being a pretty safe, family-friendly zone is I think both good positioning and forces more creativity (gotta color between the lines…it’s much harder).

2 Likes