I just noticed...

They also shot two completely different sets of host segments. I have the alternative ones on a download somewhere. I don’t really remember them. The ones they ended up using were better anyway.

1 Like

I discovered that when I bought Ring of Terror a few years ago. I thought I’d be able to download it and just have it, but nothing doing. I was very irritated as well.

2 Likes

It’s less a purchase and more of a long-term rental.

Would this be a good place to bring up the 6-year bait & switch on the downloadable copy of the Zappa documentary for its KS backers or should I take that to the gripe thread?

4 Likes

Amazon eats, for this and countless other reasons. :confused:

4 Likes

Would that I had known that in advance. I wouldn’t have bought it. If I’m genuinely renting (which I’ve done a time or two), I’m okay with the limited access, but if I’ve purchased it, I expect that I now own it.

1 Like

This is why I’m not becoming a completist. Once you do that, they’ve got you. :confused:

Is it just the host segments, or a full different cut of the movie?

It would be nifty if in the gizmoplex they could show us the movie they wanted to release.

1 Like

Just the host segments.

That’s still better than nothing.

1 Like

Quite often before. Sometimes weeks before.

I gave up Amazon this year. It’s been fine. I have to work a little harder to buy things, and I find that means there are quite a few things I don’t really need or want.

I had 100 games on Impulse before Stardock sold it to Gamestop so that Gamestop could…shut it down.

1 Like

And every game now has to be bought through Steam or GoG. Hope they don’t shut down before you stop playing your favorite game.

3 Likes

As noted, I lost all my Impulse games.

GoG, at least, lets you download.

1 Like

Yeah, but aren’t they like Steam where you have to be running their app in order to play the game?

I don’t believe so. They’ve done a lot of gyrations in recent years to encourage you to use their app, but I think you can just download an installer and play.

1 Like

Oh, well better than Steam then.

1 Like

Be thankful that the Red Book Compact Disc Digital Audio format was long set in stone before the first digital rights management software was developed or considered needed. The equipment required to copy a CD (a computer CD drive and a 1GB hard disk, multiple high-MB hard disks, or a data tape drive) simply wasn’t available to the general public and cost an arm and a leg, like all early tech usually does. In the very late 1970s when the format was developed (yes, CD audio is now over forty years old — the Red Book was first published in 1980!), there was simply no need to do anything to protect the audio data on the disc from duplication. Multi-generational copy losses took care of the analog side like they did with vinyl records.

4 Likes

Negatory – a purchase provides a full installer and (except in a recently publicized case) DRM’s stripped out. Install as many times you’d like, on anything that’ll run it. Vault the installer and use it as desired. Once purchased, it’s yours forever.

3 Likes

Heh. Yeah. I actually scrawled that on one of the placards of a route for a newer DSP (private companies who roll out the vans you see everywhere). Actually, that was my mistake, but there are quite a few problems even on the retail chain: we’re always running out late arrivals via truck and having a half-dozen different companies do milk runs door-to-door with much fuel consumption and labor costs/liabilities. I agree.

The main problem, though, is (nothing to do with yr amusing comment!) AWS is very much large and in charge.

If it’s served from AWS…welp…good luck. Better than MS Azure in terms of reach, but what are you going to do? They have warehouse management app issues going back for years, after multiple revisions. Their employee “app” is garbage, written by some intern or something, always has been. AWS is better, with a full set of tools, but there’s a reason the phrase exists, especially among studio owners and other music professionals, “buy the license, run the crack.”

I know this is just a TV show, but nobody whose livelihood depends on stable software or content does anything except via an air-gapped machine which never goes online.

Look at the stock prices, and there’s your answer. I think yesterday AMZN was trading at like $3058 USD or some ess. Per share.

You can’t fight city hall, but that’s the way it is.

Andy Rooney out!

To reply directly to the post, MST3K: The Movie is not only shorter than the average episode, it’s shorter than the movie it riffs.

5 Likes