I Just Realized...I'm Torgo!

For two years now, I have worked as a live-at-home caretaker for my aging parents. Last summer, we had to make the excruciating decision to place my father in the memory care unit of an assisted living facility because we could no longer care for him at home. So now he lives about 5 minutes away from me and Mom.

When people ask me what I’m up to these days, there’s only one phrase that suffices:

“I take care of the place while the Master is away.”

Oh my guh.

I am Torgo.

Shout-out to all the other Torgos out there who, through the hands of fate, have been made to play caretaker. (sound of manos applauding)

16 Likes

Believe me. I sympathize. I have the staff to prove it.

11 Likes

A great big virtual hug and a hearty mothercrabber to you and all the other full-time carers out there. I honestly don’t know how I’d cope that that. Kudos!

7 Likes

It’s near walking the edge of a razor blade and staying on the tip. Not simple, swift, or momentary. I’d rate it as about as easy as Harry Potter walking to “his death” in the forest in Deathly Hollows. Except the chapter is years of your life. My salute and infinite respect to Puffin on what you endure. It’s the most we can ask of anyone.

4 Likes

You aren’t Torgo until you’ve claimed dibs on some other dude’s wife.

3 Likes

Have you been worshipping Ba’al again?

4 Likes

I helped to take care of my grandfather when he was ailing, so words could never be enough here to commend you folks who provide care like that.

My hat’s off to y’all, and your dedication is heavily applauded.

6 Likes

Caretaking for parents and or grandparents can be an exhausting and often thankless task to take on.

I hope you have all the support you need (from friends, other family members, etc) to keep yourself going on the hard days, and I know there are definitely some real hard days.

Take care of yourself.

4 Likes