I love Meteor (1979) and I'm not embarassed!

I’ve seen the movie at least 4 times. But, it has so many FLAWS. The pace, the special effects are so bad. It was a different time, and in the 70s, disaster movies were KING. Some examples are: Airport, Earthquake, The Towering Inferno, The Poseidon Adventure, CoughCity on FireCough, Avalanche… I’m fairly certain the failure of this [and others in '79] marked the end of the disaster film genre boom…

But it does have a great cast:
Natalie Wood
Sean Connery
Karl Malden
Henry Fonda
Brian Keith
Martin Landau

AND…the pinball game by Stern sold incredibly well. 8000 machines! Better than the movie…

4 Likes

I’m not sure if I’ve seen this one or not. I confuse this title with Night of the Comet. My memories are foggy, but I remember seeing one of them as a kid and being disappointed that it was all buildup with almost no payoff. Does this describe both of them?

2 Likes

Embarrassed to say I was working in a movie theater when this steaming heap was released. And that soundtrack…

1 Like

I saw that one- boy I wish that was one the guys were doing this time-very funny bad 70’s flick—Did you know that both Natalie Wood and Brian Keith could speak in Russian and did so in that film?

Yep – one of my shameful pleasures as well. It’s so comprehensively bad, and yet so utterly stacked with acting talent, that it’s a work of art in its own way…

2 Likes