I’m Not Crying, There’s Cinema in My Eye

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one…had both the Mrs. and I totally broke down.
It’s quite a thing to put someone through in 5 minutes…

2 Likes

Yeah we saw it in theaters and my aunt said “Wait, isn’t this supposed to be a kid’s movie!? This is way too sad!”

4 Likes

TV shows are generally less likely to hit me in the feels, but there are some notable exceptions that I can recall from the (somewhat) recent past.

DC’s Legends of Tomorrow is definitely one I never expected to hit me in the feels, but when Dr. Stein sacrificed himself to save Jefferson Jackson it got me going despite the absurdity of Firestorm sacrificing Firestorm to save Firestorm. Absurd humor is the entire reason to watch Legends.

The Expanse is one that just kept going for the throat with tear-jerking scenes. There are three scenes that really stood out for me. Miller choosing to die with Julie even though she was technically already dead, and he never even met her when she was alive. Even though you knew it was destiny, it was a powerful moment.

Another huge punch in the gut was when Alex died from a brain hemorrhage after pushing the Roci for all she was worth to escape. Sure they told you time and again that it was an occupational hazard for pilots, but it wasn’t supposed to happen to Alex!

But probably the worst one for me was not even a main character in the series. When they spaced Ashford and he was singing the song he used to sing to his daughter as he took his last breath. I am crying right now, just remembering that scene.

2 Likes

Y’know, I’ve gotten choked up at certain movies, but never actually progressed to shedding tears. Which is odd, because I’m a pretty emotional person.

E.T. certainly got me pretty close, back in my youth. As an adult Quiz Show really hit me hard. I’m tempted to see if it still does.

4 Likes

Oh, don’t forget Galaxy Quest, that got to me as well !

4 Likes

There’s that one moment in The Iron Giant that gets me every dang time.

7 Likes

I’ve only cried once in a theater. That was at the end of Peter Weir’s Fearless. A movie practically nobody went to see and even fewer people now remember.

Although it was, to my astonishment, name-checked in Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie.

4 Likes

Totally with you on Fearless.

4 Likes

What part of Galaxy Quest?

3 Likes

Yep.
:sob: :sob: :sob:

3 Likes

SUPERMAN

6 Likes

“You were like…a father to me.” oh the feels!!

5 Likes

By Grabthar’s Hammer, you will be avenged.

11 Likes

Under-rated classic, like most of Weir’s stuff, frankly.

My daughter loves It’s A Wonderful Life and it’s one of those movies that usually plays on Christmas, so I’ve seen it a lot and it gets me every time. Obvious, I know.

The Best Years of our Lives has me tearing up as if it were 1946. (“Our boys! We gotta help our boys comin’ home from the war!”)

When I think of more recent movies I’ve seen in the theater, I think of the Korean ones: Even silly superhero stuff like Along With Gods is going to have some really poignant moment. (In Gods, the protagonist is struggling to complete his challenges in the afterlife so he can get a message to his living mother about her Christmas gift he never gave her: a burnt-rice-cooker. It’s silly but then…it’s not any more.)

Or an inherently poignant movie like Be With You, where a recently deceased young mother comes back to her family, but has no memory of them—then throws in an entirely unexpected third act gut punch.

My son and I both started tearing up during the opening credits of Lone Survivor. Sounds silly, but the opening credits are a squad in training, and well, you know from the title what happens to them.

At a particular high in my life, I took my kids to see Yankee Doodle Dandy and The Music Man on the 4th of July. They had never seen either and the latter has a place in my heart as the first musical I ever saw (before Disney, even), and I was just jubilant when the credits started rolling.

3 Likes
6 Likes

I had a box of tissues at the ready when I watched The Good Place finale, and I needed several. And again when I rewatched it. Just kick me in all the feels.

6 Likes

That one was a real tear jerker :smiling_face_with_tear::smiling_face_with_tear:

4 Likes

I couldn’t handle watching Scooby-Doo or MST3K for a long while after my cats passed. I still struggle with Scooby-Doo and anything with an orange cat. I had only one VHS tape of Scooby-Doo episodes that I taped survive. They sat on their tushes and watched so I could do homework. Scooby-Doo Meets Courage the Cowardly Dog was released after they passed, but the dog’s devotion to Muriel reminds me of my girl. Cats prepare you for teenagers is so true. They are furry bags of sass. Mine had perfectly timed meows to anything we watched. Except for the sacred Scooby-Doo. You’ll get hit if you talked during Scooby-Doo. We’d curl up and watch MST3K or any bad movie and start sassing. However they did like Vincent Price/ Roger Corman movie The Raven. Only the bird parts, the rest is garbage. At the time we had Epix Drive In which was devoted to B movies. It showed mostly Roger Corman movies back then. Roku kindly fills my life with b movies now. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: So sweet of it. Most crap movies are public domain, so YouTube also helps.
So I guess b movies really make me miss the good ol days the most. My mum watches them with me, but she lacks the sass. Most of the time she lets me tell her movie trivia.

5 Likes

It’s kind of dusty in here… :sob:

Sassy Attitude GIF

2 Likes

The ending of Don Hertzfeldt’s It’s Such A Beautiful Day (the full film, not the short), makes me bawl every single time : (

4 Likes