I Wrote the Wrestling Sketch. AMA.

I’m glad to hear this. I write a lot of goofy stuff, but the goal/hope is still for people to connect to it through shared experience. Thank you for sharing this story.

9 Likes

Thanks. This was definitely an ode to watching wrestling with my father, so I’m glad it resonated.

12 Likes

Lines that lock a bit to a certain period of time (ok to say it, references to facebook, twitter, etc.) can fall flat and don’t age well.

Did you get any advice about how to be careful around that, but when it may be appropriate or work to your advantage? Any talk about regional, cultural, ‘modern era’ references with Joel and others? (Again, just gonna say it— Shrek)

I think I miss some of the Midwest vibe, but you know, PA, LA/CA, etc are open now, too. Looking forward (I think :wink: ) to more of your work, and congrats/thanks.

1 Like

I loved that sketch! My best friend is not only a huge MSTie, but a huge wrestling mark, so I got so excited to tell him the bots were cutting promos! (Back when we lived in the same town, we used to grab a couple beers and riff RAW and Smackdown. Good times.)

3 Likes

So obviously some of the sketch premises are episode-specific, but are any of them written in a vacuum so they can be tuned to fit any episode if you need filler?

Are there any unused sketches you wrote or got to see scripts for you’d like to see get made into standalone host segments that could live in the Gizmoplex like little windows into life on the satellite between experiments?

6 Likes

Less of a question and more of a comment. @Blac_Drac is a new writer this season and was absolutely hitting home runs from day 1. Their writing is all over this season and we’re all the better for it, brotherrrrrrr.

30 Likes

You may have seen this, but I really appreciated Servo mention the brawl in Memphis. When I was a kid/youth Memphis had a legendary rasslin’ scene.

8 Likes

Some memberberries from a former Memphian

7 Likes

That was not a conversation I ever had. But I was also asked after one of my joke pitches, “Are you secretly 60?” So there ya have it, folks!

13 Likes

The nice thing about our rooms is, they’re a great gumbo of sensibilities so we had people who liked pitching very episode specific sketches and people who liked picking more free floating sketches. There was always a good mix of both.

10 Likes

I mean, I love that people could watch something like this and think he wasn’t in on the bit with Kaufman.

6 Likes

Not only did I like the wrestling sketch, but I busted a gut at the L7 riff. Finding out you’re all over the upcoming season is great news!

6 Likes

What everyone should know about Tim and this episode is how patient he was with me constantly pitching jokes we couldn’t use because I thought it was so funny to swear about or at Dracula.

11 Likes

I love a good smark. If it ever comes up again, we’ll do an Attitude Era sequel with Mr. McHeston.

5 Likes

I love an indie promotion and I love the stories I always heard about the Memphis scene.

3 Likes

I watched a lot of episodes of 120 Minutes and I am proud to use that to bring a little joy to people’s lives.

6 Likes

I enjoyed the whole Gizmoplex launch on Friday and look forward to each event and all the groovy stuff heading our way. That wrestling sketch was great! :slightly_smiling_face::+1:t2::v:t2:

2 Likes

This was one of my favorites!

10 Likes

@Blac_Drac Well done. I LOVED it. The concept of a cutting with kindness wrestling promo is just incredible, the lines kept escalating perfectly and the talent really delivered on your writing.

For the rest of my life I will be quoting, “I admire you and the values you stand for.”

6 Likes

There’s a documentary about Memphis wrestling called Memphis Heat if you’re interested. It can be seen on Amazon Prime.

2 Likes