If it applies to you, what’s your strangest personal connection to the MST3K people?

Since I came up with this, I’ll start.

Joel and I used the same photo studio for our high school graduation pictures. He appreciated.

12 Likes

Hmmm I used to live in Wisconsin and my sister used to live in Minnesota. That’s about as close a connection as I can think of at the moment. thinks harder

6 Likes

It’s not exactly the same, but there’s some similar content over here that might fit the bill:

6 Likes

That would be another great topic!

2 Likes

In high school I was a year behind the young woman who would become Virginia Corbett, Bill’s wife. She was heavily into theater and I split time between theater and band, so we didn’t have much interaction even though we knew a lot of the same people. We did work together on one reader’s theater show I was the Stage Manager for.

She even showed up at one of my high school reunions to see some old friends from my class. I briefly reintroduced myself, but did not mention my MST3K fandom.

8 Likes

Joel was born in my hometown - Stevens Point, WI

8 Likes

Good call. Bill’s got a bur in his butt about it and his wife probably has heard enough. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

3 Likes

…uh… I own a copy of Mike’s book Mind Over Matters. That might be as close as…

Oh, wait! I’m in the process of applying for a job in Wisconsin!

5 Likes

Thanks to a college roommate, my Bacon Number to Joel is 5

4 Likes

Does this count (Sacramento, CA)?
Robot Luv

10 Likes

Well, the reunion in question was almost 15 years ago. I think their views would’ve been a little different at that time, though I don’t know for sure. Still, I agree it was the right move not to say anything, didn’t need to sound fanboyish.

1 Like

Most definitely !

1 Like

I’m having a romantic relationship with the wife of M. Waverly’s puppeteer. Does that count?

11 Likes

Zero degrees of separation FTW.

7 Likes

I know Tommy from Soultaker lol

6 Likes

My modern art professor said he went to college with Joel and they both did standup in the area during that time.

Not someone who was directly in MST, but I know the director of Cry Wilderness. He was the resident artist at my synagogue. He still paints - his artwork is much better than his movies. https://www.wolfschlossberg-cohenstudio.com/

5 Likes

My playwriting teacher in college was none other than James Ryan, aka MacPhearson from “Space Mutiny.” This would have been about three years after Space Mutiny had aired on MST3K, but I didn’t put it together until many years later.

He was an interesting guy with some very strong feelings about how scripts should be formatted. (I have never seen anyone use the method he demanded, which involved literally folding the script pages.) That said, the short play I wrote as my final assignment got produced and published - so I guess he was a good teacher!

8 Likes

The second cousin of the key grip’s best boy’s assistant personal assistant on my mother’s side once stopped at a gas station I used on a cross country road trip outside Pittsburgh.

…actually, the closest real connection I have is a couple of Twitter likes and a stalker closet wallpapered with pictures of Tom and Crow with devil horns and goatees drawn on them.

…well, the Twitter likes thing, at any rate.

But they were pretty nice!

6 Likes

Which of you travelled the furthest?

3 Likes

THAT’S something awesome.

And welcome to the forums!

! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

8 Likes