If it applies to you, what’s your strangest personal connection to the MST3K people?

I’m just assuming that someone here went to school with Faruk Alatan.

6 Likes

A friend of mine from years back went to the same school as Joel, so that’d be my own closest personal connection. I think it was college they were both at but I may be misremembering and it was actually high school. I just recall for sure that she said he was a year or two ahead of her.

She told me once that, while they didn’t know each other very well at all, the handful of times they interacted, he was very kind to her. She’s deaf and very shy and those two things together made the already difficult task of getting to know folks a whole lot harder. She felt he made a real effort to try and introduce her to people she had similar interests with and such.

I’ve wondered sometimes if he knows that he really helped her out with those few brief moments of thoughtfulness. Just a little kindness can really make a huge difference for somebody.

10 Likes

OH! I learned the other day that a friend’s niece is married to the grandson of Bill Rebane (aka creator/director/screenwriter of Giant Spider Invasion).

7 Likes

I was in a movie (no shared scenes) with David Anthony Higgins. At the same time that Joel brought MST3K to the Comedy Channel he was also the show runner for The Higgins Boys and Gruber.

4 Likes

It’s a few degrees of separation, but…

• Met Warren Wucinich (artist on the Invader Zim comics) at a Free Comic Book Day Event
  • Frank Conniff worked on Invader Zim (the original show)
    And we all know Frank from his writing and his Mad-ness!
5 Likes

Visited/vacationed many times in Hayward, Wi…Blood Hook :wink:

besides all the other Wisconsin connections lol

6 Likes

I love your beer!

No personal connections to speak of, but I did live in the Twin Cities for 6 years (and Madison, WI for 2), which means I get a lot of the local jokes. I have been the drunk girl at the Blainebrook Bowl.

5 Likes

Heh, small world, no?

And welcome to the forums!

4 Likes

My strange connection:

My family was one of the founders of Eden Prairie MN.

7 Likes

I once was in a play with Steve Guttenberg, who was referenced in a Parts: The Clonus Horror riff.

6 Likes

I found out at the end of '22 that I kind of have a connection to a Season 13 movie “star” because of a work thing. I wish I could tell you more. But anyway it’s cool to have that knowledge.

And, of course, I’ll always haz…

1 Like