If MST3K had originated in your town instead of MN, what would the regional jokes be?

I’m from Northeast Ohio, so I suppose the show would have contained lots of instances of the word “ope” (as in “Ope! Sorry I bumped you!”), references to the jingle “Have fun for your money and saaaaaave…at Marc’s!”, and calling outdoor BBQs “cookouts”.

What regional inside jokes would the show have included if it originally started in your neck of the woods?

8 Likes

But the show started in Minnesota.

But I can’t answer this, as I was raised in Wisconsin.

6 Likes

Yikes, it’s been such a long day. Title fixed! My brain said MN, but my hand typed WI.

4 Likes

I kinda got a glimpse of that in Season 11 with references to the Mummers Parade and that Mount Airy Lodge commercial jingle. Thanks, Elliott!

8 Likes

Quite a few jokes on rusty bridges (including one called “Bic Mac”) and chili on top of spaghetti

3 Likes
4 Likes

I am from everywhere and nowhere. Rootless and without local idioms.

I’m in California now but not even that part that has distinguishing stuff. If I was from LA I could say they’d have a bunch of jokes about In-n-Out burgers, or Angelyne. But no, here I am in Silicon Valley. I guess all tech bro stuff :face_vomiting:

4 Likes

If we’re talking about where I’m originally from–St. Louis, it’d be a bunch of references to Lion’s Choice, provel, t-ravs (toasted ravioli), “Where’d you go to high school?”, Vess soda, St. Paul’s sandwiches, hoosiers (not the Indiana kind–IYKYK), etc.

DC would likely be references to mumbo/mambo sauce, jumbo slices, Old Bay, etc.

4 Likes

There would be a lot of references to F&J Furniture’s Special Man who can saaaave you MONAY!
letteraveit.

3 Likes

Here in Denver, it would be Tom Shane, Rocky’s Autos, Dealin’ Doug, and Jake Jabs and his tigers.

3 Likes

Is unabashed bigotry a regional flavor? Because I’m pretty sure that’s my hometown’s most common style of humor. In case you can’t tell, I’m happy I moved away.

2 Likes

He does tons of commercials for his Indianapolis franchise. People think he’s local to Indiana.

1 Like

And my regional joke would be about this weirdo:

I didn’t realise he had branches outside of Colorado! The things you learn.

4 Likes

I’ve heard their commercials so many times, I can say this from memory: “You’ve got a friend in the diamond business. The Shane Company, at 96th and Haig Road just east of I-69.”

5 Likes

As far as Vancouver itself goes… a few references to old shops and jabs at a few local places but honestly I just can’t see something like MST3K coming out from here.

Now Seattle… that’s easy. Watch any random episode of Almost Live after John Keister took over. The jabs they already took at Washington communities and demographics of their viewers would overlay onto MSTie easily.

6 Likes

There were (still are) tons of Shane Co. ads in St. Louis as well.

3 Likes

Yep! Ours would be “Just off Arapaho Road and Emporia Street. one half mile east of I-25” :rofl:

3 Likes

“Well at least the town in Skydivers had a bar.”

2 Likes

State Farm, the local McDonalds owners commercials “JULES!”. The classic menards commercials, the Mitsubishi motors factory, lots of Stevenson family references (Adlai, Lewis and Edgar Stevenson Jr) and David Davis

2 Likes