If MST3K had originated in your town instead of MN, what would the regional jokes be?

Probably references to the Packers and Menards ads.

Oh wait…

5 Likes

I grew up in the St. Louis area back in the 60’s & 70’s and I could imagine references being made to:

Stan Musial (bows head in reverence) & Biggies

Grant’s Farm

Anheuser-Busch brewery

“Crestwood Plaza where the big stores are”

Famous-Barr department stores

Steve Mizerany (“on the Hill”)

Laclede’s Landing

Goldenrod Showboat

The Admiral

Eads Bridge

“The Mad Hungarian” Al Hrabosky (just cuz it’s a fun name to say)

Iron man Garry Unger

the legendary local news anchorman Julius Hunter

perhaps Bob Costas, a local sportscaster before he became nationally famous

5 Likes

:grin:

2 Likes

YOU DON’T SAY!!! Why I might just head over there now…

:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Oh and John Elway’s car dealership, I hope

2 Likes

If it had started in Buffalo, probably a lot of sad jokes about the Bills peppered with a couple good natured bits about Jim Kelly (his career lined up perfectly with the original show :laughing:)

I also specifically think there’d be a joke where some schmuck onscreen did or said something stupid or tasteless and Joel would say “Oh yeah, and I bet this guy dips his chicken wings in ranch, too.”

5 Likes

You raise an excellent point- I don’t see how NE Ohio wouldn’t include riffs on The Cleveland Browns.

1 Like

‘Eh, those came and went so fast, I’m not sure they had much of a social impact. Certainly not at Dealin’ Doug or Rocky’s Autos levels!

2 Likes

God help anyone/anything that happened to go wide right.

1 Like

I live in Baltimore, so it would have been easy for them to riff on Edgar Allan Poe. Vincent Price in Fall of the house of Usher would have played well on Mst3K! Of course, they could of just made fun of local weatherman Marty Bass and his penchant for picking up “ahem” ladies of the night! Or Baltimore native Frank Zappa, who Mst was trying to work with before his untimely death.

4 Likes

[wolf whistle]

I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a latte’ for Speed Walker today!

1 Like

Living in L.A., almost everything in media tends to have regional references one way or the other.

But if MST3K had started in my little section of the city, I’d like to think it would’ve looked and sounded a little something like this:

3 Likes

As I too grew up in Northeast Ohio, the Packers jokes would be replaced by Browns jokes (about losing rather than winning) .

3 Likes

…and, from Oregon MST3K:

“Uhh… Rip City… I guess.” :basketball:

(Crow: “Paul Allen tried to copyright that, you know.”

Tom: “Shut your cakehole, Crow.”)

2 Likes

Native El Pasoan here, so instead of “Diarrhea is like a storm raging inside you” it would’ve been “Shouldn’t have eaten at Chico’s Tacos.” And there would’ve been MORE White Sands jokes since it’s only 80 miles away. And maybe some Fort Bliss jokes.

3 Likes

If they had started down here I’d expect a lot of alligator and Florida Man jokes…so many Florida Man jokes…

7 Likes

Manos would have had a lot of local-to-El Paso jokes.

2 Likes

Mt. Baldy
Frank Zappa - Cucamonga, enough said.
Ontario airport
Cucamona Quakes minor league baseball
Ontario Reign hockey minor leauge
Fontuckey, er, Fontana
Claremont and it’s many colleges as well as Ben Harper
San Dimas high school football rules!
Cal Poly Pomona
Chino - Just for their institute.

2 Likes

“Go find a TV or something, Debbie. Maybe Harmonica Bob is on.”

“Ah, back when I-10 was just a gigantic dirt road.”

“They made Scenic Drive look like anything but!”

“Geez, Western Playland isn’t what I thought it would be…”

“Don Haskins called! He wants his cardigan back.”

3 Likes

jokes about people showing up in Vancouver WA, asking how to get to Stanley Park?? I assume that would be more a Portland/Oregon bit than Seattle.

3 Likes