If MST3K is truly an experiment, then there must be a crew(s) that watches average movies to serve as a control group.

…That is all.

11 Likes

Maybe that’s the purple jumpsuited guy seen in Carnival Magic (1983)?

7 Likes

Maybe there’s a mirror mirror universe where a nice guy or gal and their robot pals make a pair of mad scientists watch good movies?

13 Likes

I’d pay for that!

I don’t think you understand the mad part of mad science.

15 Likes

Maybe, if we were dealing with scientists of the rational kind and not Mad ones…

4 Likes

In the words of Alexander Jason (via Adam Savage of MythBusters fame), “The only difference between science and screwing around is writing it down.” In mad science, I think there’s a question of exactly what is being written down.

11 Likes

The control group is people who don’t watch the movies.

2 Likes

I’m thinking there’s also a crew watching good movies but it’s some Midwestern Average Joe who doesn’t get all of these highbrow Kurosawa and Fellini and would rather watch something like The Beastmaster.

6 Likes

The people who don’t watch the movies get their oxygen supply cut off by the Mads.

1 Like

Ok, SO. I LIKE this idea. And I’m going to run with a few things already said here.

The IS a control group. Average Joes who normally like films like Tranformers and Sharknado. The scientist in CHARGE of the control group is Matt (Purple Jumpsuit) who was previously tricked into doing it by Kinga, but ONLY because Max insisted.

So Kinga “hired” Matt (who is also a Gizmonix employee, hence the jumpsuit) to show Average Joe nothing but Good Cinema and record the results. She even gave him his own robotic “Assistants” to help.

Kinga COMPLETELY ignores the control group because she REALLY. DOESN’T. CARE. It’s just that Max wouldn’t SHUT UP ABOUT IT ALREADY!

8 Likes

1 Like

…it’s us. Have you seen basically any forum of MST fans? They love sharing their favorite cheesy movies. So we’re MST canon in my headcanon.

4 Likes

We already know that our heroes have watched good movies. Of course, the humans could’ve watched them on Earth. But how did the robots do so without the scientists finding out about it? :thinking: I don’t want to credit the villains with too much in the way of “real” science smarts, but if the robots could secretly “beam down” to hide in the back of the control theater… (As Crow did to party with the high school kids, and to visit Pearl at Thanksgiving) that would explain certain things, for sure.

2 Likes

Of course, most of the above applies to modern MST. But a control group would also be used earlier on. Though this doesn’t cover from the very start (yes, Clay, Ehrhardt and Frank weren’t too bright), but…

Remember how, after a while, we didn’t see Gerry and Sylvia the mole people anymore? Well, that’s what they were doing. They probably eventually just wandered off after the Laserblast experiment.

Pearl couldn’t really do things complexly until settling at Castle Forrester. After that, it was likely either Torgo and Ortega with one robot, or some stray Nanites.

2 Likes

“… And by observing YOU have become PART of that experiment!” - Dr. Clayton Forrester.

6 Likes

That’s why Dr. F had the mole people around… Jerry and Sylvia weren’t JUST PA’s, they were also the control group.

5 Likes

MST3K: Lower Decks

10 Likes

I love that idea… I think Frank was generally unfazed by the films so he performed a similar task to the real-life Frank in pre-watching the movies to pick. Then the control group would get the movie at the same time as the SOL without the assistance of wisecracking robots.

2 Likes

There should also be a group that sees fantastic movies.

2 Likes