Ignorance is bliss

My dad loves that movie so I had to share that with our family chat.

I’m not entirely sure my aunt (LL) is messing with me. She doesn’t watch a lot of movies.

7 Likes

And now I’m trying to picture Vin Diesel doing the “What do you mean I’m funny?” scene from Goodfellas.

4 Likes

I always found Vin Diesel’s acting in Guardians of the Galaxy wooden.

6 Likes

Update:

2 Likes

I’m trying to picture Joe Pesci as Groot.

5 Likes

I’m still in like jail for another 20 minutes, so I can’t react to any of these posts, but I do like them. I do indeed.

4 Likes

The movie Hackers shows the writer had no idea what computer hacking was or how it works. You got to love the cartoon interfaces and “inside the computer” fly throughs. Fisher Stevens rules though.

5 Likes

I knew I was becoming perilously oldified when I watched that with my wife and got mad at the haxxorz when they set off the sprinkler system in the school and I was like “oh my god that’s millions of dollars in damages for a school system that clearly can’t afford it who thought this was a funny harmless prank oh my god”

8 Likes

More apropos to the cheesy movie angle, I’m not a marine biologist but I’ve stayed at quite a few Holiday Inn Expresses and I’m almost positive that rolling a boulder into an octopus pond will not split the atom, regardless of how one may or may not have tampered in God’s domain.

6 Likes

Whew, this actually makes me feel better about killer robots. T2 scarred me as a child :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

As a physicist? Oh god.

One scene in particular stands out in my memory. Many years ago I saw Goldeneye in the theater with my wife and a friend (another physicist). By the end of this scene, my wife was hearing in stereo: “No…no…no…no…”

4 Likes

Hollywood hates physics.

7 Likes

The motorcycle hits the guy and he goes flying instead of the bike going over him, Bond jumps on the bike and chases the plane off the cliff, wills himself to fall faster than the airplane, wiggles the controls for a bit and then everything is fine.

What’s the problem here?

3 Likes

Scuba diving scenes. I don’t have a lot of experience, but I see people do stupid dangerous stuff as if that’s what people always do when they dive, or things presented as life threatening when they’re easy problems to overcome. Divers don’t get surprised by running out of air because they always check. Getting to the surface from 50 ft sucks but unless you’re really unlucky you’re not going to drown. I mean really scuba diving isn’tthat exciting. It’s intended to not be exciting. Exciting can be a problem.

7 Likes

Listen, T2’s liquid robot falls firmly into Arthur C Clarke’s “sufficiently advanced technology” adage, so you go right on being terrified of shapeshifting killbots made of mercury from the future.

6 Likes

Agreed. Just look at every scene in Black Widow. How does someone survive a car flipping without any injuries. How exactly does one have fight in midair with wreckage falling all around you. How does someone run on the falling wreckage and finally land on the ground and not have all the stuff land on you?

5 Likes

In one of the live action GI Joe movies, the polar icepack is broken up by explosions causing ice chunks to sink into the ocean, threatening submersibles underneath it. I’m not a scientist, but I tested this with a bowl of water. It turns out ice floats.

7 Likes

Exactly. And just the basic stuff, too: no bullet has enough mass or travels at enough velocity to pick a guy up and throw him backwards.

4 Likes

Shoot ‘Em Up with Clive Owen is actually really fun because it knows the bullet physics are ridiculous and plays with them.

2 Likes

Wasn’t there some movie where they twisted their guns as they fired so that the bullets would travel on a curved path? Seems like I saw that in an ad.

3 Likes