I'll watch any movie with _____ in it

riffs!

4 Likes

And something of an outside choice, but I really enjoy Ed Harris in just about everything.

7 Likes

My favorite film subgenre would be heist/caper movies.

With that in mind, I’ll watch any movie with a heist and/or a caper.

5 Likes

I’ve mentioned a few of my "sold"s here. As in “Merle Oberon is in it? SOLD!” but:

• Any film that takes place in a single day is a strong plus.
  • Any film where L.A. gets destroyed.
  • So Cal-based movies where the geography is important are also a must-watch.

I just sat through The Horrible House on the Hill which (pace Tarantino) is pretty grim. But it takes place in Lake Arrowhead/Blue Jay which was where I spent many a childhood weekend.

Actors and actresses? The usual Silent Movie and Golden Age suspects. Actually, any silent is a strong plus for me.

4 Likes

You see this term in reviews of bad movies with good actors… “for completists only” - my completists list is very, very, VERY long. So buckle up (and this is just a sample).

• Cate Blanchett
    80 films and shorts watched, (soon to be 81 when I can get to “Nightmare Alley”). I recently stuck with Don’t Look Up long after wanting to turn it off, only because she was in it.

• Marlon Brando - 50 watched

• Buster Keaton - 131 watched as actor

• John Wayne - 121 watched

• Bruce Lee (even the ones he did as a kid, when I can track them down with subtitles)

• Lon Chaney, Henry Fonda, Cary Grant, Jack Nicholson, Audrey Hepburn, Bill Murray, Anna May Wong, Inna Chruikova, Sidney Poitier, Edward G. Robinson… gah, it’ll never end

• Godzilla & Bond for series

• I’m big on Animation, all animation, not just Pixar and Disney types but the experimental stuff, oddballs, anything that pushes the medium to its limits. I like the unfettered imagination in animation.

5 Likes

My initial answer would be “kaiju” — I’m a sucker for almost anything with a giant monster in it.

My second answer would be “stop-motion animation” for the sheer amount of work that goes into creating it. Traditional — i.e., drawn, inked, and painted — two-dimensional animation is already labor intensive, but stop-motion animation? Take all the work of managing a movie set, and then miniaturize it, use armatures instead of actors, and keep all the lighting and other environmental factors stable for weeks instead of just the moments a typical movie take needs. Then there’s previsualizing exactly how far to move the armatures between each frame to get the desired motion when played back at speed, figuring out ways to invisibly support the armature when it needs to be in mid-air or precariously balanced, e.g., running, jumping, etc., synchronizing mouth and facial movements when the character is speaking, etc.

Sure, computer animation has pretty much replaced traditional 2D and stop-motion animation, and with good reason (automated in-betweening, reuse of character assets, the complete elimination of the ink & paint steps and animation cels in general, photorealistic three-dimensional rendering, easier combination with live-action footage, the list goes on and on), but there are still some animation houses like Aardman and Laika that have been doing phenomenal work even today — with a touch of modern CGI techniques for cleaning things up a bit, like wire and stand removal for armatures.

9 Likes

Oh, and the actor of the ‘right now’ is Jessie Buckley - I’ve been going through her brief filmography ever since she wowed me in Wild Rose. If she’s in a movie, I’ll watch it.

3 Likes

Bogart and Bacall, together or separately.

7 Likes

I’ve seen Kubrick’s entire (available) oeuvre. I would watch any film he would make if he was still alive. I even enjoyed A.I., although apparently I’m a rarity in that department.

I guess Fear and Desire wasn’t the greatest film, but it was his first feature, so I’ll forgive him that.

2 Likes

First thing that popped into my head was ‘Anthony Zerbe’, because, yes I have.

Some good stuff, some pea-you stinkers. He’s a great actor, can play pretty much anything, but I do kinda wish he was pickier about his parts.

That said, I do watch a lot of classic films, and my list of favorite actors and directors is too long to post here. You’d be all day reading it.

But one that hasn’t been named yet is Hedy Lamarr.

3 Likes

I was going to mention Vincent Price. Now I will just feel redundant. I’ll add John Agar.

4 Likes

Eddie Deezen

1 Like

I’m the same way. I celebrate the guy’s entire catalog. For me it doesn’t get any better than when he’s playing Eddie Lipschutz in The Whoopiee Boys.

1 Like

Cameron Mitchell, but only because I kind of hate myself.

4 Likes

This sounds like CinemaWins “Always a Win” actors
Christopher Lloyd
Kate McKinnon
Maya Rudolph

On the voice acting side
Ashley Burch
Jennifer Hale
Mary Elizabeth McGlynn
H. Jon Benjamin
Kristen Schall
Kate Miccuchi
Rob Paulson

4 Likes

Death of a Salesman, Carousel, How to Marry a Millionaire, The High Chaparral TV series, and tons of other good movies - I don’t see why you’d need to hate yourself.
(Just avoid his 2 MST3K appearances.)

5 Likes

I just saw him in Kazan’s Man on a Tightrope (1953) and he was good in that. So, he had several career highs.

Unfortunately, he didn’t wear a warrior muumuu in Tightrope.

3 Likes

naked co-eds and showers

4 Likes

See, that was my first thought. But then I remembered we were talking about COMPLETISTS.

So @JudgeHolden is setting himself up to watch 132 films, the top 50 of which are pretty okay.

The other 80 would be some sort of cosmic level of self-flagellation, including such highlights as Hollywood Cop, Supersonic Man, Medusa and The Last of the Vikings, although there would be some “gems” in there, like the disastrous Irwin Allen movie The Swarm, Alan Hale Jr.'s last picture Terror Night, The Big Game with Ray Milland and France Nguyen, and Fred Williamson’s The Messenger, which co-stars Fred and Joe Spinnell.

Of course, some of us have seen these movies without being completists, but we shan’t come up with a word for those sorts.

3 Likes