Impressed by GOOD acting in a bad film?

Yeah. Plummer was one of those actors who had a tendency to choose questionable projects, but you knew that if his name was attached to something he, at least, would be great in it.

5 Likes

That would be Women of the Prehistoric Planet. Hi-keeba!

4 Likes

Another fun fact from Kate: The Hikeeba! guy is Melissa Gilbert’s dad (but not Sarah Gilbert’s dad - Sara changed her last name to match her sister’s when she started acting)

5 Likes

He quoted Shakespeare in the original Klingon. Who else can brag about that?

And he was in Rifftrax’s ‘Firehead’ being very Christopher Plummery. Along with Academy Award winner Martin Landau and Chris Lemmon giving the worst Jack Lemmon impression ever.

4 Likes

He’s really great in Beginning of the End too, but he doesn’t get a speech as good. In fact, I don’t think there’s a better speech in any MST movie.

VeSota is amazing. Watching him as the cuckolded southern store owner in Attack of the Giant Leeches, then the Sydney Greenstreet-like drug runner in Daddy-O, he nailed both of them. Him and Gene Roth are two heavyset MST actors I’m always happy to see show up in a movie.

All the acting in The Girl In Lover’s Lane is good, but she deserves special credit. She plays such a delicate balance of worn down yet naively hopeful.

When I realized that was Breck in The Crawling Hand, it made me appreciate his acting in Beatniks more.

You just wish her, her fiance, and her father could leave the movie and go to a My Man Godfrey-style parlor comedy.

When they replaced Spacey with him in All The Money In The World, it was like: if you could get Plummer, why didn’t you just cast him in the first place?

9 Likes

Bobbie Byers is Linda in Wild Rebels. I have to say that I’m always paying attention when she gives Rod her little speech about why she’s happy to be a moll and squeeze toy for Satan’s Angels. Not that it’s a good speech, but she’s engaged enough in her character to sell it. Overall, I believe in her in a way I don’t believe in the others. I even believe that she loves Rod enough to betray Jeeter at the end. (Though you could argue that she was simply smart enough to see that all was lost at that point, and that by saving the cops’ snitchweasal, she might get some leniency from the court down the road.)

4 Likes

The actors in the horror film Dragon Fury put a whole lot of effort into their acting, considering how bad the CG they’re acting against looks.

2 Likes

The guy who played Crenshaw in Boggy Creek II. I actually believed he was a Mountain guy until I learned that he was a regional actor.

4 Likes

A few days ago I watched this movie

You may notice in the small print this was directed by Bruno VeSota, his first such effort. It’s not a good movie, but it’s also not a patently bad movie. Given the obvious budget limitations and that it was allegedly shot in six days, it is surprising it looks & works as good as it does. BVS must have been paying close attention to the way things were done on all the movie sets he was on. I think I read that he directed 2 more movies.

6 Likes

Interesting, I didn’t know he directed any movies. I’ll IMDB him and see what else he did.

1 Like

No matter the schlock, I don’t think John Carradine ever turns in a BAD performance. Even his short bit in Red Zone Cuba (though there it was a MUCH higher gap before everyone else in that movie).

6 Likes

Carradine was a classically trained Shakespearian actor, so he definitely had some great acting chops.

4 Likes

He also directed the Brain Eaters and Invasion of the Star Creatures, both American International Pictures. The Brain Eaters was produced by and stars MST3K veteran and Roger Corman regular Ed Nelson. Yes, Leonard Nimoy is in this film. Invasion of the Star Creatures was written by MST3K veteran and Roger Corman regular Jonathan Haze. Unlike the Brain Eaters, Invasion of the Star Creatures was not stolen from a Heinlein novel.

5 Likes

Unlike his son David, who was quite capable of phoning it in when the times (mostly “high” it seems) called for it.

4 Likes

Well, looks like I’ve got some new bad films to track down.

3 Likes

… which The Mads have riffed. It’ll come back around for rebroadcast and download option again at some point later this year if @Chris_Gersbeck sticks to the usual schedule.

5 Likes

I became a fan of Bruno VeSota after watching Giant Leeches - you have to respect an actor who brings legit heart and pathos to a role, even if it is a cheap B-movie with plastic bag creatures. Could have phoned it in but didn’t.

George Nader might have had limited range as an actor, but I thought he did solid work in Beyond Atlantis, if only because he wasn’t doing that smug, condescending voice and attitude he showed in the other MST eps.

Due to things like Sumaru, I kind of forgot that he could impress in good films from time to time (like Brit-noir, Nowhere to Go, which also marked the first on-screen, big-screen film credit of Maggie Smith)

6 Likes

Exactly the same. I genuinely felt for him despite the ridiculousness of the movie.

8 Likes

I literally do not know how many times I’ve seen Invasion of the Star Creatures. More than twice. Fewer than 100 times. It was very common late-nite fodder when I was a kid.

It’s not a good movie, no. It’s probably riffable. I watched it again recently, even. I know there’s a sci-fi trope of “beautiful alien women’s plan to invade earth thwarted by sexy, sexy Americans” but this is the only movie I can think of that carries that out. I mean, you can see why, right?

I think it’s the first time I ever pulled a movie clip to make a meme, too. (I’m a late bloomer.) I have to shrink it down drastically to upload it but I think it’s still legible.

burnt-feathers-tiny

2 Likes

That is not a bad cast. I’ve liked Kathleen Crowley in everything I’ve seen her in (known to MSTies as the put-upon wannabe-actor’s wife in The Rebel Set). She was also a semi-regular on Maverick (the TV show, not the Tom Cruise movie).

3 Likes