In memoriam…

Wayne Kramer from The MC5.

2 Likes

Aww - MC5, Kick out the Jams.

He co-wrote and played on Alice Cooper’s Detroit Stories in 2021. RIP Wayne.

2 Likes

8 Likes

Damn, they’ve been dropping like flies the last few days. Aston “Family Man” Barrett, bassist for Bob Marley & the Wailers, is dead at 77.

2 Likes

Aw, man. I have never been able to master reggae bass, but if I ever could, I’d want to play like him.

1 Like

Aw that sucks! I saw him on the MC50 tour in 2018, it was an amazing show.

Edit: found the pic from the show, Wayne on the left with Kim Thayil of Soundgarden on the right.

3 Likes

Spin Magazine had (probably at the ready) a top 10 of Kramer’s best songs. Naturally, Kick Out was number one.

A quote:
Over the years, “Kick Out the Jams” hasn’t lost any of its explosive power, and has been covered by everyone Rage Against the Machine and Blue Oyster Cult to Afrika Bambaataa, Jeff Buckley and Bad Brains.

What? No mention of the Celine Dion cover?

3 Likes

Well, since the guy was named Crow(e), how could she resist?

7 Likes

Here’s one I think we missed. Mark Gustafson, a writer and animator from Will Vinton’s Claymation studio who most recently directed Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio, died Feb. 1 at age 64.

5 Likes

Aw, this is sad to hear. I’ve played a couple PDQ Bach pieces in my community band.

2 Likes

I remember reading about this relationship several years ago. What a story. According to the article, she lived almost three times longer than the median life span of a white-naped crane in captivity (42 years vs 15 median).

3 Likes

So they had crane chicks together?

2 Likes

No, the crane was heterosexual and female. Only the zookeeper had chicks. I hear he had a crane side piece.

3 Likes

Today brings news of the passing of Michael Jayston, a much-respected character actor who was in many movies and TV shows.

And Ian Lavender, aka Private Pike from the classic sit-com Dad’s Army.

4 Likes

Very sad to hear about Michael Jayston’s passing. I had the chance to briefly meet him a few years ago. He was a very pleasant and frank person. He was happy that his connection to Doctor Who allowed him to travel to places around the world, but he openly admitted that his role of The Valeyard was not written very well and he could not do much to fix the problems. He was more proud of his Big Finish audios portraying that character, which have less mustache twirling and better character depth and motivation.

5 Likes

Technically, he was The Doctor.

2 Likes

At this point, arguably the first Doctor from an alternate timeline.

2 Likes

RIP famed comic book artist Jose Delbo.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Toby Keith, the country music singer and songwriter also known for his larger-than-life personality, died on Monday at the age of 62.

He “passed peacefully last night on February 5th, surrounded by his family,” his official website announced his death. “He fought his fight with grace and courage.”

Keith was diagnosed with stomach cancer in 2022.

The Nashville star’s country hits included the likes of “Who’s Your Daddy?,” “Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue,” “Beer for My Horses” and "Made in

2 Likes