In memoriam…

I’ve always been the sort of misanthrope that prefers animals to people, so this one hits.

RIP to Flaco, the coolest bird in the world. Jail breaker, freedom lover, late of Central Park. Died when a damnable human building got in the way of his beautiful flight.

11 Likes

Alas!

3 Likes

He was a superb owl.

Who died shortly after the Superbowl.

6 Likes

Who?

Hey, we were all thinking it.

4 Likes

9 Likes

More on Ramona

As a kid I had and enjoyed her Metamorpho books.

6 Likes

Metamorpho was the kind of character who could only have been created during the Silver Age. Just one look says, “Yep, he’s a 1960s comic book character.” Rest in peace, Ramona.

5 Likes

“Why yes, he is totally invincible and immortal and can turn into anything and can shoot laser beams from his eyes and can read your mind and makes stuffing in 10 minutes.”

5 Likes

https://www.newsfromme.com/2024/02/24/two-ramona-fradon-stories/

1 Like

I was also a fan of Metamorpho.

A friend and I came up with a superhero named StayTheSameO. Doesn’t have quite the same ring, though, does it?

2 Likes

I just stumbled onto this news and I am not finding it noted in this thread. She appeared in way too many shows that I have enjoyed over the years (Into the Labyrinth, Doctor Who, The Tripods, Blake’s 7, and more), so I have been a huge fan of her work. She always elevated the quality of the productions she was in.

9 Likes
6 Likes

Another one died too young

Best known for Eureka. Also had guest roles in Stargate and Supernatural

8 Likes

His biggest role was probably the Klingon Kol who had a big part in Discovery’s first season.

1 Like

Ole Anderson, professional wrestler, has passed away at the age of 81. Ole, along with Arn Anderson, Tully Blanchard, and Ric (WOOO!) Flair, helped revolutionize wrestling in the 1980s as the legendary wrestling faction The Four Horsemen.

4 Likes

Here’s the thing.

It was a year ago today that my mother died. We got on well together, had many of the same interests (though she really didn’t get MST3k). Theatre, books, crafts.
Her illness began in August and it was anything but a gradual decline; the prognosis would shift from one week to the next. It wasn’t until the last day or two (it’s a blur) that it became clear she wasn’t going to bounce back this time.
Truthfully: what got me through was all this. The pure joy of Season 13 gave me a place of refuge and recuperation if only for a few hours at a time. I could lock out the world and have a bit of fun.
But even that would not have been enough were it not for these forums. They kept me sane and kept me functioning right when I needed it.

So.
To all those people, from Joel onward, who built all this, and to all of the MSTie denizens I’ve found here,
Thank you.

Oh, so that’s what was on the soppy drive. Maybe I better unplug it.

21 Likes
10 Likes

That’s a shame. I know little of McCanna, but Gary always seemed like a good egg, and this seems like an absolute heartbreaking tragedy for his family.

4 Likes

Huh. Apparently Richard Lewis died yesterday. Hadn’t seen anything about it.

17 Likes

As sad as I am to hear that since I always enjoyed his neurotic comedy (Marc Maron is sort of a pale imitation), his star really faded, so I can’t say I’m super surprised it wasn’t big news.

1 Like