In memoriam…

Wow. I well remember his stuff in Mad Magazine, too.

2 Likes

Nichelle Nichols has passed away.

From her verified Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cgr7rqPvRJ7/

A legend, a queen, a lovely person.

Ad astra. :broken_heart:

9 Likes

Well that pretty much caps a whole week of terrible deaths.

7 Likes

:cry:

6 Likes

Dang.

4 Likes

RIP Bill Russell.

10 Likes

Nichelle Nichols was the only TOS cast member I ever met. Back in the late 80s when I was 12 years old at a Star Trek convention in Indianapolis. She was a very sweet lady and was very nice to me even though I was obviously a starstruck kid.

She also was vital in bringing women and POC into NASA. Without Nichelle Nichols, there would have been no Sally Ride.

13 Likes

Or Mae Jemison.

8 Likes

Thank you, I was trying to think of her name.

1 Like

Rest in Peace Uhura. Bless you on all the happiness you’ve given us during your life and beyond. I’m truly glad now I sent these two to be signed by you 2 years ago. You will be with me forever.

9 Likes

RIP Pat Carroll, voice of The Little Mermaid’s Ursula.

9 Likes

squints

Starbase Indy? Slanted Fedora? CreationCon? I’m thinking we were at the same con. :grin:

Nichelle really was a Queen. I was hanging out at a signing stall at a con in 2011, and she and I were calling back and forth as we rated costumes that walked by. Her personal favorite was the Dude Jedi. I yelled after him, “This Empire will not stand, man!” She lost it laughing.

Nichelle Nichols, a Big Lebowski fan. Who knew?

9 Likes

This is utterly gutting. I loved her. Such a great performance.

4 Likes

Starbase Indy. Star Trek V had just come out.

2 Likes

July can go suck eggs / rocks through a straw & / or have the door hit it hard on the way out.

https://www.loc.gov/item/2015669187/

5 Likes

Pat Carroll was a unique talent, and very funny. Those of us of a certain age saw her on TV quite a bit.

And not trying to turn this into a competition, but possibly of interest to MSTies, Pat Carroll was referred to on the show, while I don’t believe Russell or Nichols ever were. All 3 will be missed, of course.

3 Likes

Hawkman’s mother! There’s a thread I wish writers used more in the comics. “I don’t care if you ARE a reincarnated Egyptian prince, would it kill you to call your mother once in a while? And even if it did, big whoop! You’d just reincarnate, Mr. Fancy Pants! And dust your mace! I’m sure you can use some Armor All on it.”

As for Nichelle Nichols, I didn’t watch much original series Star Trek, and the movies I’d seen never gave her much to do. BUT, I watched the hell out of Disney’s Gargoyles, and she was the voice of Diane Maza, mother to series protagonist Elisa Maza.

360px-Diane_Maza

And while, again, she didn’t show up in many episodes, she always did a marvelous job whenever she did. And, in Mark Of The Panther, she narrated what is arguably the most visually distinctive sequence in the show’s history.

4 Likes

"This video is not available in your country. Please try again later. "

What, when I’m in another country?

5 Likes

Only available in Uganda and Paraguay.

1 Like

Hah hah. Yep. My mom ran the Con Suite, my dad ran the Docking Bay & Trek Video Room, and I often worked Security, Masquerade, and general mayhem. Was at every one of the first incarnation (and know the people running it now).

Found a couple of my badges…I think I still have my SBI ‘88 program around somewhere. Yours would’ve been ‘89, Starbase Indy: The Second Generation!

SBI 5 was the crazy one…that was the one we got Nimoy. Holy cow!

EDIT: Found my ‘88! Mark Lenard and Michael Dorn were the guests!

4 Likes